crazy competition standards!?!

brachiator

I'm a qualified arborist and have been in the game almost 10 years and been climbing everything since I could walk.. I was shocked to see this setup at the latest climbing competition in Auckland NZ, Western Park, none of the contestants had climbed the tree yet and when I alerted the judges of the obvious hazard, I was pretty much scoffed at and actually told "did you notice the whole tree is dying?" which was not only not true but completely illlogical.., after pointing out that while the tree had minor dieback on the other leaders they still had foliage, this limb was dead as a dodo.. I told the judges how ridiculous and dangerous that is and that I would fail anyone who climbs the tree, I figured I'd speak my piece so my conscience could be clear. It was to my dismay when I went back the next day to see they had done nothing to ensure the contestants safety.. While the rest of the tree had slight dieback, this secondary branch of a topped leader was completely dead, and pretty much directly over the footlocking rope.. as you can see by the first photo it's not the kind of limb you want falling on you, in fact if I was pruning/removing the tree I would've of climbed the backside and removed it before doing anything else, amazing cause I asked a couple of bystanders and they were able to point out the obvious hazard to me.. not even arboriculture 101, thats just common sense no??

I know for a fact this wouldn't of been allowed under the supervision of my tutors who used to run the event.. very sad state of affairs as far as I'm concerned.

I'm interested to hear ummm excuses for this ;) definitely no justification in my opinion.

5.jpg.95a3af1ecd6fb47632fb4be16a25dcaf.jpg

4.jpg.12db4d0b54b101138fa325cd6f5a431e.jpg

3.jpg.be5e862d8e58d68fb12a406e8bdccdcf.jpg

2.jpg.73a10c93de29cd7960f1a6a745f87e89.jpg

1.jpg.7b4c2ec321fe9488a603f1e97b7be5f2.jpg

I think it's a good thing, it gives the competitors that real world feeling and adds the "Darwin" factor

I am assuming that the lack of reported death and mayhem means the event went off without the offend in limb causing any real problems ?

You always make me smile with your "down to earth / real world / say it as it is" contributions.

PLEASE don't ever stop :biggrin:

Cheers :thumbup1:

Paul

To give the competitors that extra 'real world' climbing experience...

Why not choose a tree full of ivy then sprinkle lawn sausages, broken glass and erect a fragile run down shed and fence underneath the canopy...?

Upon descending. competitors must pick up a huge double armful of brash and drag it 100m through the lawn sausages up a slope down an alley next to a wall with white render one side and tender fragile shrubs the other, negotiate a 90degree bend between overflowing bins then between an angry neighbours Vauxhall Insignia and a caravan to the chip point.

Or is that just a little too 'Real World'...?

Ty:001_tt2:

Why not choose a tree full of ivy then sprinkle lawn sausages, broken glass and erect a fragile run down shed and fence underneath the canopy...?

Upon descending. competitors must pick up a huge double armful of brash and drag it 100m through the lawn sausages up a slope down an alley next to a wall with white render one side and tender fragile shrubs the other, negotiate a 90degree bend between overflowing bins then between an angry neighbours Vauxhall Insignia and a caravan to the chip point.

That is bang on ! :biggrin:

Don't forget it has to be pissing down too!

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Just to give the initial post some balance, the following points give the other side of the story

1. A climbing inspection was done on the tree when the event was set up.

2. The limb has recently died – it still had small twig growth attached

3. Recently other dead branches had been removed lower down, however this had been left, suggesting it was not then dead or was of minor concern

4. The opinion of the climber was the branch was still structurally sound and therefore not the hazard that it has been made out to be.

5. The tree is a scheduled tree and therefore what can be done is limited even in the case of deadwood.

But thanks for showing some concern.

Regards

David

Chair - New Zealand National Tree Climbing Competition