Small van recommendation / insurance

Aicchalmers

So just wanting any opinions on a good small van to get for a first time driver. Getting more work in arb and getting my license soon so think it'd be a good time.

Budget is around £1000 ..

Wishlist:

Good amount of space for logs, kit etc

Towbar for possibility of trailers

Small-ish engine for insurance but powerful enough for reliable use

A few ones I've been looking at:

citroen berlingo , both the van and m-space models

renault kangoo

daihatsu hijet

Don't really quite know if I'm barking down the wrong path though ..

And as to insurance as a newly qualified 21 year old it's a bit ridiculous how much you can get charged! Most of the quotes I'm getting are from 700-1800 but did get one for 537 for a hijet which doesn't sound too unreasonable.

What can I look for to get the premiums down? So far all I can really see is the number of seats and engine size but that doesn't seem to be all of it. Vans actually seem to be cheaper to insure than cars for me but maybe that's just down to the number of seats?

Scudo / Expert / Dispatch, all the same van (few minor engine differences) but nice little vans that hold a lot more than they look like they will.

I had 2 in the past, found them good on fuel, 3 seats in front is handy also, 1.9 turbo was the best I found and good on insurance.

Down side is locks tend to fail after a while, minor thing really but if keep tools in the back get a metal bulkhead put in (if not fitted already) and add a security lock to the rear door.

I've a berlingo 2.0hdi van with a bench seat in the back. The only thing is it doesn't take much to over load it. It should take 600kgs I had 400 in cement and me n the dog and it was on its knees. As for a trailer, it can tow a max of 1100kg braked or for you 750kg Unbraked, that's not a lot of logs, I've had it loaded as much as I dare with all sorts, logs, fencing etc and it's pretty nerve wracking at the top end.

A transit would be better if you can save an extra 2k plus the extra for insurance.

But, mines now on 230k miles and is lovely to drive. About to mot it again and really not worried at all. It's also quite easy to work on (05 model)

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk