Stihl Motomix- stores the same as Aspen?

William Clifford

Hi,

Does anyone know about Stihl Motomix? I'm looking at it for my father as he only uses his saws etc once in a blue moon. I would go for Aspen over normal petrol mix as I don't want the petrol going off and maybe damaging his saw. Trouble is I've rang a few places near Whitby where he lives and I can't even find anybody who knows what Aspen is! Let alone it being within a decent distance to collect.

Read about Motomix a bit as he can get it up there, but it's still petrol, albeit without the ethanol content. Anyone have any experience or knowledge about how this compares with normal 2 stroke petrol mix and Aspen in terms of degrading of saw parts and rubbers coping with it sitting in the tank for up to 6 months at a time etc etc.

Presuming no adjustments would be needed on the saw (Husqvarna 135).

Thanks.

Motomix is a similar product to Aspen, in so much as it is an Alkylate fuel

Strangely, Stihl claim a shelf life of 2 years, against the 3-5 years of Aspen.

Stihl have priced Motomix at £20 per 5 litres against the £18.98 of Aspen.

As the fuels, both Motomix and Aspen have a slightly different density to pump fuel there is a chance with either fuel that carburation adjustments may be required.

Although, in practice, many engines need very little adjustment, if any.

Thanks!

Have managed to find a map of Aspen dealers and there seems to be one within an hours drive. Will give them a ring on Mon.

So Motomix doesn't have the additives in it that pump petrol does, that damages the rubbers and seals etc over time? It sounds like Motomix is very similar, as you are saying, to Aspen2. I guess you could switch between the two fuels without noticing? And that pump petrol is related, but in a different family.

Hi,

Does anyone know about Stihl Motomix? I'm looking at it for my father as he only uses his saws etc once in a blue moon. I would go for Aspen over normal petrol mix as I don't want the petrol going off and maybe damaging his saw. Trouble is I've rang a few places near Whitby where he lives and I can't even find anybody who knows what Aspen is! Let alone it being within a decent distance to collect.

Read about Motomix a bit as he can get it up there, but it's still petrol, albeit without the ethanol content. Anyone have any experience or knowledge about how this compares with normal 2 stroke petrol mix and Aspen in terms of degrading of saw parts and rubbers coping with it sitting in the tank for up to 6 months at a time etc etc.

Thanks.

Hi William,

PM me with the dealers you contacted that did not know about Aspen and I will send them some information. I can't help with the spec of Motor Mix as there is very little information in the Stihl catalogue or on their website when I looked.

If you have any Aspen questions you can always contact me on [email protected] or phone 07568 108953.

Kind regards

Eddie

Hi Eddie,

Thanks for that. I only contacted a couple of places to be fair, and the other place I knew of up there had closed down. When I thought it was going to be hopeless, I was then offered Motomix so started to look into it. I'll PM the places I tried, you might be able to get it stocked, but have since found the dealer map ( https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&t=m&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=200058646586976568264.0004a59773da653195e09 ) which you probably know of! The one near Scarborough should do me fine for the occasions we need a top up.

PM on way. Cheers.

Hi Eddie,

Thanks for that. I only contacted a couple of places to be fair, and the other place I knew of up there had closed down. When I thought it was going to be hopeless, I was then offered Motomix so started to look into it. I'll PM the places I tried, you might be able to get it stocked, but have since found the dealer map ( https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&t=m&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=200058646586976568264.0004a59773da653195e09 ) which you probably know of! The one near Scarborough should do me fine for the occasions we need a top up.

PM on way. Cheers.

Hi,

Loads of Aspen information on our website just google Aspen fuel.

Also it's a quick way to find the dealer map.

Hope this helps

Hi,

Thanks.

STIHL MotoMix has the same beneficial properties as Aspen does (long storage life, lower health risk, does not dissolve tube/diaphragms), and the same disadvantage (price). They are both Alkylate fuels with added 2-stroke oil, and no added ethanol.

You can switch between them at will, in much the same way as you can switch between two brands of normal pump petrol.

Edited by morten

Just as a curiosity... In addition to Aspen 2T and STIHL MotoMix, Statoil also refines and sells Alkylate fuel premixed with 2% two stroke oil. I have no idea whether they actually sell it in the UK, though.

For details on Statoil's alkylate fuel, refer to https://external.statoilfuelretail.com/mar/svg01184.nsf/design/lub_pds/$file/Alkylate_Gasoline_TwoSTR.pdf.pdf

• 2 years later...

I've used Motomix and will continue to do so although I cringe at spending £100 for 20 liters. It is very similar to Aspen (equitable even ?) being an Alkylate fuel that has been mixed with a Biodegradable, fully synthetic, 2 stroke Oil which meets the NMMA TC-W3 spec.

What is interesting is that you can buy this in Sweden at the pumps and it's around 10 to 15% more expensive that normal Petrol. Given that the price of petrols raw material has dropped, why hasn't Aspen/Motomix ??

Is £4 a liter sustainable ?

Even buying 200 liters + the cost doesn't drop to below £3.30/ltr which is well above the current 99p/ltr (for 95RON) and 115p/ltr (for 102RON sexy Nitro + fuel from Shell).

Are you not profiteering here Eddie ??

Shouldn't Aspen be around £2.50 a liter these days ?

Yes it's better for the environment and the saw but you are now 500% more expensive...