Tree's failing?.....So move the target.

David Humphries

Here's an episode where we noted a root plate starting to lift on one of a line of Robur and Petrea which are leaning.

The original fence line was 4m away on the compression side of the Trees.

There was also a tarmac path between the fence and the tress, which was used by vehicles & people, who feed the fallow deer in the enclosure.

So to mitigate this hazard, instead of just felling these 150+ year old Oaks, we moved the fenceline to the tension side of the Trees, enclosing them within the deer pen. Then lifted the original path and relaid outside.

This allowed the Trees to be retained.

As you can see the fallen Oak is now resting on it's elbows and is slowly resting down to the ground.

The Fallows are browsing, but the canopy is putting on extension skyward to compensate.

No before shots unfortunately.

The new issue to attend to now, is the damage the Donkeys are doing to the Trunks and butresses. :sad:

DSC00469.jpg.61fa54d5931b327855ffaa6b4d6063c9.jpg

DSC00474.jpg.ebe97976d6237e30cc8dc22ba7dfe8a5.jpg

DSC00470.jpg.1229fc57707589e7bbf9d34c08a15720.jpg

DSC00471.jpg.0a5adbd71f19aeab1b5258985f032cda.jpg

DSC00468.jpg.58cf63dee6b924c5c23ce1a3812ec0df.jpg

DSC00466.jpg.8bbeca4d7d7c77be96fa7c980918f554.jpg

DSC00473.jpg.81b8c0f968e1534577ee12255adf99bb.jpg

Edited by Monkey-D

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't wish to be rude but, IMO, what an appalling waist of tax payers money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It should have just been felled and replaced.

The other tree would not thank you, now they are being damaged.

I see your point, but technically speaking the City of London is not Tax payers money dave.

The COL is not one of Londons 32 Boroughs,

Our budgets are derived from the rent of the sqaure mile at the Heart of the Capital where the financial markets are.

The Open Spaces, which we manage, like Epping Forest, Burnham Beeches and our selves at Hampstead, are well outside the geographical boundaries of the square mile.

With the ethos of taking over these valuable sites for the preservation of the Heritage and Landscape for the greater Publics pleasure, & without the Public Purse, is IMO something that as you have pointed out is misunderstood, and as such is deserving of more credit.

If the COL had left these and other sites, to the constaints of the Local authorities, these SSSI's would most definately have been left in a far inferior condition.

Viva la City :001_smile:

http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/Corporation/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_London

Thats fine then.

If they wish to waist THEIR money good luck to them.

I'm just so glad that the Victorians spent their money planting trees that we now enjoy, instead of waiting it trying to selfishly hang on to lost causes.

Were measures were taken to prevent root damage when relaying the path?

I won't say those trees were lost causes. I know of lots of trees in similar states on our estates which are thriving in partially fallen states. The lifting root plate naturally decompacts the soil and often improves vigour in following years.

Thats fine then.

If they wish to waist THEIR money good luck to them.

I'm just so glad that the Victorians spent their money planting trees that we now enjoy, instead of waiting it trying to selfishly hang on to lost causes.

How is it a lost cause Dave?

The roots are still attached and three years on this particular tree is healthy, vital and more importantly structuraly sound.

No reason that I can see that it wont go on to thrive for Centuries to come if Managed this way.

Is your negativity towards it's retention based upon the aesthetics, and that it doesn't conform to shape of type?

If so how's that a problem here?

I'm intrigued to try and understand how perception of life and it's safe retention within the environment is more than just black/white - reduction/fell.

Fair play to you David for giving it a go!

Did you compare the costings of a fell and re-plant compared with the fence re-erection? Are you planting a replacement anyway?

Cheers John.

Cost was considered but not the driving force.

We had already replaced an earlier lost one (next one down line)

Were measures were taken to prevent root damage when relaying the path?

I won't say those trees were lost causes. I know of lots of trees in similar states on our estates which are thriving in partially fallen states. The lifting root plate naturally decompacts the soil and often improves vigour in following years.

Did consider a raft bridge for the path, but would definately have risen costs.

Spec for relay was to be cautious and sympathetic to the locality of the root plates.

Is your negativity towards it's retention based upon the aesthetics, and that it doesn't conform to shape of type?

If so how's that a problem here?

My negativity is based on what I feel is an obscene waist of money and effort, when ,IMO, the trees time has passed.

I feel the same when I see old pet animals being kept alive, not for the animals benefit but because of the owners inability to accept the cycle of life and death.

Its only my opinion and we all have one :001_smile:

For what that has cost you could have planted literal thousands of trees.

My negativity is based on what I feel is an obscene waist of money and effort, when ,IMO, the trees time has passed.

I feel the same when I see old pet animals being kept alive, not for the animals benefit but because of the owners inability to accept the cycle of life and death.

Its only my opinion and we all have one :001_smile:

For what that has cost you could have planted literal thousands of trees.

But the Tree is not dead, Dave.

Ergo - not passed it's time.

Just changed it's orientation. :001_smile: