Metal detection

Macpherson

Hi, I`ve been a regular reader of this forum for a long time, it`s great to glean knowledge through the hands on experience of others, anyway, joined up, and this is my first post, so.....

I`m needing to metal detect before cutting or milling, sick of hitting debris, which is often in the first 8-10 feet of the tree. So can anyone advise on which detectors do or don`t get the job done,I`m mostly looking for embedded wire and iron nails, but if i hit gold I`ll let you know! I`m not wanting to waste cash on a machine that doesn`t do the job.

Cheers Euan.

Sometimes you will see a bit of blue stain on the bottom of the trunk this can indicate metal but not always. We have never found a full proof way we just go on if it's a hedgerow tree or out of someone's garden, we use an old blade as much as we can. Big beech on here bought a bit of yew for us to mill and it looked fine, ended up having more metel in it than the local scrap yard! 😜

Sometimes you will see a bit of blue stain on the bottom of the trunk this can indicate metal but not always. We have never found a full proof way we just go on if it's a hedgerow tree or out of someone's garden, we use an old blade as much as we can. Big beech on here bought a bit of yew for us to mill and it looked fine, ended up having more metel in it than the local scrap yard! 😜

I agree. The trouble is that you don't know how far down the metal is. You can ruin a lot of good timber digging for metal which you might have missed anyway with the mill. Most stuff is soft iron anyway so it dulls the chain but not much more, although it does make a mess of a bandsaw blade. You also don't find stones or grit by detecting.

I have found barbed wire in trees growing in the middle of a wood, and garden trees without a scrap of metal in them. If something is obviously in a hedge and there is barbed wire going in and out so I know where the line is and cut it out, or cut the tree the other way, but otherwise I just carry on regardless.

Alec

most of the wand type detectors only penetrate around 5-6" into the wood so you need to remember sweeps after every cut on urban and fence site trees, or carry lots of spare bands or chains!

Good tip thanks, I still have to decide how much to spend to get a decent reliable machine, but I suppose whatever I end up with I can check it`s penetration on a chunk of whatever`s being milled.........off to ebay then

thanks Euan