New toy for VTA diagnosis

Andy Clark

New toy arrived today.....

Just wondered if anyone else has had any previous experience with one?

I'm hoping that it'll help with reinforcing decision making, and also as a guide to others as to why I say what I say when it comes to reasoning.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk

>

Edited by Andy Clark

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New toy arrived today.....

Just wondered if anyone else has had any previous experience with one?

I'm hoping that it'll help with reinforcing decision making, and also as a guide to others as to why I say what I say when it comes to reasoning.

Hi Ya Andy hows life mate ???

let me know your thoughts on it please

iain

Hi Ya Andy hows life mate ???

let me know your thoughts on it please

iain

Hello squire.

Not toooooooo bad mate, cheers. Busy busy busy, which is always good good good. Yourself?

I will do. I've never come across anyone else using them before, so thought I'd get one and have a bash.

Got a few training courses coming up shortly, showing our some of our building surveyors the importance of considering the impacts on trees of the work they specify, so I'm hoping it'll be of use then if not out in the field as a survey tool.

Brilliant Matthecks triangle tool, i have been pondering one for a while now as it should help when explaining reductions to contractors,

please let us know how you get on,

may the force (cone) be with you:thumbup:

all the best rich

That's the kiddy Rich.

And that was kind of my thinking behind it - for using it primarily as an aid to show others, rather than as a tool for surveying.

The paperwork blurb that it comes with is nothing that isn't already in the VTA field guide or his other publications, and it's quite explicit in explaining that it's meant purely as an "aid", not as something that's to be relied upon chapter and verse.

I can see some annoyances already - like having to be stood so far away from a tree with any sizable DBH to use the Height/DBH guide, but then am I actually ever going to need it categorically in order to make that assessment?

I should hope not!

But I will probably be using the same portion to asses the force cone, and to look at excavations within the root area. I recon, couple the info from the tool with the NJUG guidelines, and you've got a pretty good justification for refusing excavations - only by a means that someone else can see, instead of just accepting what you've written in a report.

The bit for included unions is probably going to be most handy for speeding up survey work and making recommendations for pruning.

We'll see.