ash cord dry enough

cosworth

If it has been through a harvester these can strip some of the bark which will let some of teh moisture out. I would guess that the MC as it stands would be about 25%-27%, process it put it under cover for a few weeks and it should be down to 20% ish.

Best results are with a MC of 12 - 15%, so what you have is sellable, most log sellers are selling 25% + stuff but if you can it will be far better processed now, stored and sold from next July onwards.

A

I've just cut in to some Ash that was felled a year ago and it is still 30%+ MC. Most moisture is lost through the ends of the logs. I think you'd be very lucky to get it seasoned enough to sell it this winter - unless you can get it in to a poly tunnel or similar

I have some ash cut down 3 years ago we left them in 1m lengths split last week and checked 30% in the middle. May also depend on what time of year it was cut. Log it in January send it out in November any less and its wet and wont burn properly.

HI STEVE we had some oak down for 30 years plus and that was 30% plus we cut all ours when we get it in into logs its far better than in left in large cord thanks jon :thumbup:

Is it fair to say that cord left for a year and then split will dry faster than fresh cord?

So, say I fell an ash tree now and log is right away, I believe this will dry slower than a tree that was felled 12 months ago and logged now.

Not sure why, just my experience.

The more surface area you expose the quicker the log will dry, cut it into logs and store inside. I also dry mine through a container drawing a lit log burner one end and a fan expelling moisture out the other end with a curtain preventing the air flow to high in the container so having to pull through bags.