new gadgets and gizmos

plank_pusher

Recently I've moved down under. I'm working on the power lines in south Australia, its dangerous, very physically demanding, warm as hell, unsafe, terrifying, risky and I LOVE IT!!!!

I'm looking to invest in some new kit to make life a little easier where I can because its hard enough as it is.

I was eyeing up a spiderjack.

Just wondered if anyone knew of any similar gizmos or anything like that, that is coming out in the near future that I should wait for or anything that's better?

Cheers guys and gals, as always, climb safe and keep an eye looking up :thumbup:

Recently I've moved down under. I'm working on the power lines in south Australia, its dangerous, very physically demanding, warm as hell, unsafe, terrifying, risky and I LOVE IT!!!!

Mate I work everyday on the lines in NSW and never once have experienced a 'unsafe, terrifying or risky' day and it is far from dangerous if you are following rules and maintaining clearances. Kind of sounds like you're a bit of a talk-it-up cowboy, maybe what you need is an attitude adjustment instead of new gear, don't get caught up in the mucho ego trip, we already have to much of that B/S here in australia.

Or maybe, the same situation can be perceived by different people to be unsafe and risky as well as safe and fine?:001_rolleyes:

I know when I went out playing with moto x bikes my mum's perception of what was dangerous did not even come close to actually getting on the bike:biggrin:

Mate I work everyday on the lines in NSW and never once have experienced a 'unsafe, terrifying or risky' day and it is far from dangerous if you are following rules and maintaining clearances. Kind of sounds like you're a bit of a talk-it-up cowboy, maybe what you need is an attitude adjustment instead of new gear, don't get caught up in the mucho ego trip, we already have to much of that B/S here in australia.

Mate give him a break :thumbdown:

He is asking advice on what new equipment is out there for him to try out.

You must be some kind of arb-bot or carry your balls around in a wheelbarrow to have never been a little scared whilst climbing.

Anyway....Spiderjack's are great, you'll need a ropeguide aswell - search 'spiderjack' on here you'll get loads of threads about it.

Worth considering the Rope Wrench if you are spending alot of time in big trees.

What systems are you using now mate?

If your up down up down clearing lines the the rope wrench would be well worth an investment, don't see how any friction device would make things easier for you to really notice a difference unless your using a basic system like a Prussic already?

If your unsure about SRT and still prefer Ddrt then I agree get your self a nice pulley saver or art cambium saver there awesome and well worth it, spider jacks, lock jacks hitch and pulleys are all relatively the same and would be down to personnel preference to what answer you get on here, so my advice would be to try a few out first, either by other work colleagues or down your local arb shop.

What ever it is you decide to try remember low and slow, stay safe, and have fun.

Adam

Forgive me for being critical but the powerline guys here in Aus are already branded 'hacks' by the rest of the industry without the help of claims of unsafe practises. Working on the lines is 90% of my work so i'm a bit sensitive when i hear crap like the OP is talking about. We deal with a specialized sector of the arb industry working in potentially more dangerous environments but by following the rules and regs with powerline work we should never be in an 'unsafe' situation. We must remember this isn't a local coffee shop chat but a world wide discussion

... I'm looking to invest in some new kit to make life a little easier where I can because its hard enough as it is.

I was eyeing up a spiderjack.

Just wondered if anyone knew of any similar gizmos or anything like that, that is coming out in the near future that I should wait for or anything that's better?...

Do a search on this little jewel. It is called the Hitch Hiker and is the creation of Paul Cox of Ropetek, who also makes the Ropetek Wraptor, a motorized ascender.

The HH is a hitch-based system, mid-line attachable, goes from SRT ascent to SRWP seamlessly, as well as switching into DdRT mode if the need presents itself.

My understanding is that it will be officially released during the TCIA Expo in November.

David

100_4690-1.jpg

Edited by D Mc

Forgive me for being critical but the powerline guys here in Aus are already branded 'hacks' by the rest of the industry without the help of claims of unsafe practises. Working on the lines is 90% of my work so i'm a bit sensitive when i hear crap like the OP is talking about. We deal with a specialized sector of the arb industry working in potentially more dangerous environments but by following the rules and regs with powerline work we should never be in an 'unsafe' situation. We must remember this isn't a local coffee shop chat but a world wide discussion

Even so dude, lighten up! He never said that easy safe work is made into dangerous work by employing unsafe working practices. The implication I got was that it's more demanding both physically and technically than what he's used to on our tiny weeny trees in the drizzly UK.... :001_huh:

FWIW, UA in Australia sounds terrifying, risky and highly enjoyable to me too... :001_smile:

Yeah sorry but I don't think I explained that I meant 'relatively' and in comparison to what I've been brought up on. But the comparative lack of health and safety to the UK and the 'bad habits' some guys have are what scare me but I'm not trying to bad mouth the industry at all, infact I promote it, never worked with better lads.I've already convinced more friends from the UK to come over I love it that much. Sorry if I offended you.