Atlas Cedar loosing needles all of a sudden?

MATTMOSS

What are your thoughts on this? Ive been working in this garden where there is this cedar which was a very good specimen until about a month ago.

When it has started turning brown and loosing its needles very quickly. There has been no changes/work to the ground or anything around the tree at all, I have just put it down to the terrible weather we have been having of late. So the million dollar question is what has done it? the drought in the spring or the rain in the summer? The ground is not water logged or even that wet, but it cant need water can it? its been raining for 3 months? :confused1: not sure what course of action to suggest, any ideas? apart from the obvious mulching/aireation around the base. There is not some diesese that could be doing this is there?

thanks in advance

IMG00254-20120803-1100.jpg.f0b062b8b501c823b5d569ba4fe03db1.jpg

IMG00252-20120803-1100.jpg.61d1fc5b3333dae11bbb5efb05e779e7.jpg

IMG00251-20120803-1059.jpg.791803aeafc1224706bdce9886486d02.jpg

IMG00250-20120803-1059.jpg.974ab33a1532592d268f7b746c6b9e57.jpg

IMG00249-20120803-1059.jpg.9c2af8df8d2076cd3aaa6b9ab2251458.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have dealt with a couple now that have completely died .. When I first saw them they looked like yours.

I put it down to phytophera.

What made you think it was phytopthera? I thought Phytopthera would kill the needles from the tips in (Ramorum anyway) and maybe black staining or bleeding would be present on the bark? Are Cedars prone to Phytopthera?

What do you think the chances of this Cedar surviving are? Obviously its not possible to remove infected material as the whole tree is affected.

ta matt

Bleeding on the stem made me first think it was, but that did not appear untill my second visit to the site.

The cedar it self just dropped all it's needles after a few attempts of flushing within 12 months it was dead.

From what I read on the net when I googled it, it seemed they are prone to phytophera ramorum.