Welcome to the Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Tree health care Discuss tree pests and diseases. Talk about the latest developments in tree health care.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-12   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2013

Atlas Cedar loosing needles all of a sudden?

What are your thoughts on this? Ive been working in this garden where there is this cedar which was a very good specimen until about a month ago.
When it has started turning brown and loosing its needles very quickly. There has been no changes/work to the ground or anything around the tree at all, I have just put it down to the terrible weather we have been having of late. So the million dollar question is what has done it? the drought in the spring or the rain in the summer? The ground is not water logged or even that wet, but it cant need water can it? its been raining for 3 months? not sure what course of action to suggest, any ideas? apart from the obvious mulching/aireation around the base. There is not some diesese that could be doing this is there?
thanks in advance
Attached Images

Old 04-08-12   #2 (permalink)
Supporting member, Raffle Sponsor 2012

Re: Atlas Cedar loosing needles all of a sudden?

Atlas Cedar health

My thread about atlas cedar also with same symptoms, only one reply lol but informative
Old 05-08-12   #3 (permalink)

Thanks mate, exactly what I was looking for! Now at least i've got something to go back to the owner with.
thankyou
matt
Old 05-08-12   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013

I have dealt with a couple now that have completely died .. When I first saw them they looked like yours.
I put it down to phytophera.
Old 05-08-12   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyF View Post
I have dealt with a couple now that have completely died .. When I first saw them they looked like yours.
I put it down to phytophera.
What made you think it was phytopthera? I thought Phytopthera would kill the needles from the tips in (Ramorum anyway) and maybe black staining or bleeding would be present on the bark? Are Cedars prone to Phytopthera?

What do you think the chances of this Cedar surviving are? Obviously its not possible to remove infected material as the whole tree is affected.
ta matt
Old 05-08-12   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013

Bleeding on the stem made me first think it was, but that did not appear untill my second visit to the site.
The cedar it self just dropped all it's needles after a few attempts of flushing within 12 months it was dead.
From what I read on the net when I googled it, it seemed they are prone to phytophera ramorum.
Old 05-08-12   #7 (permalink)
Supporting member, Raffle Sponsor 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

if it is suspected P. ramorum Matty did you inform FERA?

Phytophthora ramorum

as its a notifiable disease, that as far as im aware hasnt been recorded in the east of the country
Old 05-08-12   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2011

Any scope for getting a mulch ring around the base?

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."~Arthur Schopenhauer (German philosopher, 1788-1860)

"The acquisition of any knowledge is always of use to the intellect, because it may thus drive out useless things and retain the good. For nothing can be loved or hated unless it is first known".~Leonardo da Vinci

"The scientific man does not aim at an immediate result. He does not expect that his advanced ideas will be readily taken up. His work is like that of the planter for the future. His duty is to lay the foundation for those who are to come, and point the way. He lives and labors and hopes".~Nikola Tesla

my desire to enlighten, out of love of neighbour
Old 05-08-12   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Croft aka hamadryad View Post
Any scope for getting a mulch ring around the base?
Yes definatley, This is the first thing I always suggest, whether its because the tree is in poor health/struggling or perfect health.
Old 05-08-12   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATTMOSS View Post
Yes definatley, This is the first thing I always suggest, whether its because the tree is in poor health/struggling or perfect health.

it makes such a monumental difference to tree health and resilience

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."~Arthur Schopenhauer (German philosopher, 1788-1860)

"The acquisition of any knowledge is always of use to the intellect, because it may thus drive out useless things and retain the good. For nothing can be loved or hated unless it is first known".~Leonardo da Vinci

"The scientific man does not aim at an immediate result. He does not expect that his advanced ideas will be readily taken up. His work is like that of the planter for the future. His duty is to lay the foundation for those who are to come, and point the way. He lives and labors and hopes".~Nikola Tesla

my desire to enlighten, out of love of neighbour