Welcome to the Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Tree health care Discuss tree pests and diseases. Talk about the latest developments in tree health care.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-12   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle sponsor 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Willow treatment

Been to look at a couple of trees for a client, one is a sycamore with K. deusta that is dying back and it is fruiting and breaking out of the bark at waist level around the union, thats coming out asap.

Another is this willow, called 'Veronica' This tree is a reason the house was bought, it provides/d a screen from the house but i reckon that putting a wall and driveway on its root system before the clinet moved in was a death sentence, there is A. gallica (thanks D. Humphries) at the base and the crown is thin and dying back. The tree seems to want to be retained as long as possible, i said we can get some of the branches pruned off and then replanted close by to replace the screen and keep part of it living on.

It will be getting a bit of a tidy up prune, raise some branches up as its touching the floor nearly in places and remove any dead and dying bits, as little as possible to reduce the stress.

I have planned to mulch the base extensively where i can on the grass to give it some help, but i couldnt guarantee it will survive. If it doesnt manage much after a mulching, then it will probably get felled.

WIll it survive for long? the Armillaria seems well in there and is bleeding and fruiting out between bark plates.

Opinions on this, ive planned what im doing but is something id like to discuss.
Attached Images

Rainfords Contracting Services Ltd | Rainfords Tree Care
Old 05-07-12   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle sponsor 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Re: Willow treatment

pics of sycamore too
Attached Images

Rainfords Contracting Services Ltd | Rainfords Tree Care