Makita 7901

Woodworks

I am in the market for a 70cc-80cc saw which can handle a 24" bar. I have read various threads on here about the Stihl MS 460, Husquvana 372 XP and the Makita 7901. From what I can tell they are all good saws but the Makita appears to be the most powerful, lighter and appreciably cheaper but it appears very few of you actually use one and some who have have sold them but don,t mention any problems with them. Is there a good reason for their lack of popularity?

Stihl and Husqvarna are the top saw manufacturers in the world, they have more agents and a far better supply and longevity of spares.

Makita purchased Sachs Dolmar a few years ago to get in to the saw market.

Their saws are fine as far as I know but spares and service will always be more difficult than the top two.

I can pick up spares easily for saws 10 - 20 years old - quick repair turn around is generally important for jobbing arbo types:thumbup:

BTW - I am not knocking the Makita saws - I don't know enough about them to do so:lol:

Thanks for the quick reply's.

I am concerned over future spares but is the Makita 7901 basically the same saw as the Dolmar 7900? If so I believe it is very popular in North America so hopefully parts should be available for that market, so as long as there in an importer and a local supplier I should be OK for parts for many years?

I am fortunate that we have three good local shops and all three brand are easily available to me.

Edited by Woodworks

I am in the market for a 70cc-80cc saw which can handle a 24" bar. I have read various threads on here about the Stihl MS 460, Husquvana 372 XP and the Makita 7901. From what I can tell they are all good saws but the Makita appears to be the most powerful, lighter and appreciably cheaper but it appears very few of you actually use one and some who have have sold them but don,t mention any problems with them. Is there a good reason for their lack of popularity?

Great saw for the money, I have one and abuse it all the time both up in the trees and on stumps, down side only a small issue, when you really abuse it(smokin it) the chain can have a tendency to loose its tension.:lol: it just keeps going.:thumbup1:

Had two of them, both back handles fell apart. Don't believe the power and weight data on paper. After these had a 390xp, didn't like that either. Settled on the MS460 - better than both.

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/chainsaws/4467-70-80cc-saws.html

Thanks for the quick reply's.

I am concerned over future spares but is the Makita 7901 basically the same saw as the Dolmar 7900? If so I believe it is very popular in North America so hopefully parts should be available for that market, so as long as there in an importer and a local supplier I should be OK for parts for many years?

I am fortunate that we have three good local shops and all three brand are easily available to me.

Bennet, Mst, other ? Yes it is a dolmar ps7900/1 but in a horrid colour! 01 simply denotes decompressor.

(Bennet, Mst, other ?)

I was thinking Bennet, Abbey and Mark Woodhouse (Stihl,Makita).

Mst, Who and were are they?

Edit. Sorry TimbercutterDartmoor, have just read thread and now know who MST is:blushing:

Edited by Woodworks