To Coronet or Not to Coronet, now that is a question

David Humphries

Wow thats a serious amount of cutting that went into those coronet cuts, I like the look of them.

And I enjoy doing that kind of work, I think it has its place to.

Not done it much mind, but if I was to do it like that would prefer to do it in a mewp, like in the 3rd pic.

Personally when I did it I was a bit lazier, prefering to to do just 4 cuts, 2 in one direction 2 in another, the less cutting I have to do the better, unless I can get in a really comfy position.

read an article where they were suggesting leaving rough cuts and big splits for the bugs and also saw some in a small wildlife park in N Wales, but never done it and never seen anything as fancy as those! Round here they dont even want to see dead timber standing, even in a woodland setting. Just had to fell 2 on a new planting site even though I advised leaving them as a perch for birds of prey, apparently kestrels etc like them when hunting mice and voles so they also serve as an establishment tool by aiding vole control!

done a couple now this one was in a more public area ......could see people looking at it in a WTF manner and shaking there heads!.....oh well ,and the tree has a tpo so im not to sure what the tree officer is going to say...had shead the middle back limb already and the rest had big spiral patches of dead like phytophera riddled chesnut does.any way thought it would be a nice tree to try on

Image034.jpg[/img]