Kretzschmaria transmission via root contact?

KinlossRich

Trying to find reliable research notes re transmission of K.deusta by root contact.

I was recently asked to look at a mature Lime which has partially collapsed. One of its co-dominant stems had failed due to a large basal cavity, with K.Deusta fruiting bodies present externally.

The tree is the second in a row of 9 Limes on the edge of a neglected woodland, facing into the prevailing wind. None show appreciable die-back.

T1 has K bodies, T2 partially collapsed, T3 no signs of bodies as yet, T4 has K bodies, T5-9 have profuse basal growth preventing proper inspection, but it seems likely that they too will variously exhibit K.Deusta.

Have advised client to remove T1-4, including T3 which has yet to show infection, based on site history, and the fact that it will occupy a wind gap, with a bungalow present 4 metres from its base to windward.

Although the trees have no TPO/CA status, The LA are attempting to persuade the client not to fell T3.

I think that with the trees being closely spaced, root transmission could be occurring if this is in fact possible, thus if T3 is clean at present, it will likely succumb eventually.

Possibly the LA will undertake decay detection to assure client, but I understand that this is not reliable with this pathogen.

Any ideas?

1. Trying to find reliable research notes re transmission of K. deusta by root contact ... Lime ... I think that with the trees being closely spaced, root transmission could be occurring if this is in fact possible

2. Possibly the LA will undertake decay detection to assure client, but I understand that this is not reliable with this pathogen.

Rich,

1. As far as I know, there is no reliable research proving the mycelium of K. deusta is capable of transmission to not yet infected, but damaged or not well protected (Tilia : ectomycorrhizae) tree roots of close to an infected tree standing trees by root-root contact.

Normally transmission to roots from other trees takes place in a much better protected form, like f.i. melanine covered rhizomorphs of Armillaria, then through the very vulnerable hyphae of the mycelium of a pathogen.

So if you would be able to reliably document (microscopical, second opinion by an expert) root-root transmission by the mycelium, you would be the first :thumbup1: to provide evidence of the possibility of root-root transmission.

2. That's correct as far as decay detection of K. deusta on Tilia from the outside (f.i. Picus) is concerned, not if f.i. a resistograph is used.

• 2 weeks later...

Up-Date.

T1 - 4 now removed, including T3 which although without fruiting bodies, did in fact exhibit early signs of infection internally.

T5-9 have had bases cleared -T5 is heavily infected, whilst the rest do not show fruiting bodies at present.

Another single mature Lime 20m to the left of the line is also found to be infected, making 6 trees in a row with K.deusta.

Anyone else experienced this ?