Increasing Tree and Shrub survival rates and growth with mycorrhizae

Dan_Symbio

Benefits of Mycorrhizal to trees and shrubs

What are Mycorrhizae?

Mycorrhiza are naturally occurring fungi which live on the roots of trees and plants which create a secondary root system that massively extend the surface area of the root system providing water and essential nutrients to the plant and the plant in returns gives some of the sugars it synthesises to the fungus in return.

Please see the easily explained video on how Mycorrhizae works: See how Mycorrhizae Works

How does Mycorrhizal fungi benefit trees?

The longer lived a plant is the greater its reliance on mycorrhizal fungi and so trees derive the greatest benefit of all.

As a seedling, the young tree roots will become infected with the mycorrhizal fungi whose fine thread like hyphae rapidly grow out into the surrounding soil effectively forming a massive secondary root system. The fungi are able to scavenge for any available moisture in the soil as well as being adapted to mobilise scarce or hard to obtain nutrients, such as phosphorus which it passes back to the root for the tree to use. When a tree establishes this essential partnership, it will grow at a faster rate and being healthier, will be much less susceptible to disease whilst also increasing survival rates of newly planted trees and shrubs.

Inoculating trees with Mycorrhizae can be extremely effective. In one of the largest trials conducted the USDA Forest Service inoculated five million seedlings planted over 3000 acres of reclaimed mine land with Ecto Mycorrhizae. The survival rates of the inoculated trees averaged 85% compared with the control trees which only average a mere 50%!

If Mycorrhizae are Natural Why Should I be Adding Them?

The fact is that the association between a tree root and its fine mycorrhizal fungal threads is a delicate one and can easily be damaged or lost. Disturbed, compacted and contaminated soils will not support mycorrhizal fungi, and every time a tree is moved and transplanted the mycorrhizal association is lost.

The good news is that commercial inocula are available that allows the easy and economical establishment of mycorrhizae at any stage of a tree’s life and one of just two types of inoculum is required for most usual tree planting.

The Benefits for Tree Planting

Mycorrhizae have now been used in commercial tree planting and landscaping for the last ten years and the commercial benefits are well documented. These include: significantly reduced transplant losses; reduced fertiliser and irrigation water requirements and faster growing and healthier trees.

Inoculating Trees Couldn’t be Simpler

Mycorrhizae can be applied in at any stage of a trees life to reintroduce the symbiotic relationship and benefits between the trees and the mycorrhiza. This can be used in newly planted trees to kick start the symbiotic relationship. It can also be used to help reduce stress in older trees by reintroducing the mycorrhiza to increase the trees access to key nutrients and water.

Mycorrhizae pioneers, Symbio has developed a range of products that allows you to simply and cheaply inoculate and suitable tree from a seed to a mature planted specimen. Our product range makes it particularly economical to treat bare – rooted and root – balled trees.

Our product data sheets and website contains full specification clauses for using mycorrhizae in planting schemes and our technical advisors can ensure you always get the best form our mycorrhizae product range.

Edited by Dan_Symbio

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great to see Mycorrhizae being given the acknowledgement it needs in relation to Tree/site relationship factors.

One question, If I may.

How would I know I would be buying the exact species specific endo or ecto mycorrhizae for the relevant & specific associated Tree host community ?

Thanks

David

Great to see Mycorrhizae being given the acknowledgement it needs in relation to Tree/site relationship factors.

One question, If I may.

How would I know I would be buying the exact species specific endo or ecto mycorrhizae for the relevant & specific associated Tree host community ?

Thanks

David

Thats an intresting post MonkeyD..known for ages that Orchids had specific fungal symbionts but had not appreciated the same may be true of trees:blushing: Are there any publications that state which species of fungi are clearly associated with specific hosts.

Regards Dave:thumbup:

Thats an intresting post MonkeyD..known for ages that Orchids had specific fungal symbionts but had not appreciated the same may be true of trees:blushing: Are there any publications that state which species of fungi are clearly associated with specific hosts.

Regards Dave:thumbup:

Not aware of any specific host/mycorr resource Dave.

Would like to know if there is.

Some Id books I've found, give mycorrhzal association, like Gerrit Keizer for example. :thumbup1:

Hi,

Thanks for the questions

Have a look with our most common trees and plants association with mycorrhizae list

http://www.symbio.co.uk/plants.aspx

The general rule is that Symbio Ecto will associate with Conifers, Oaks, Beech, Birch, Chestnut, Alders, Poplars, Eucalyptus and Willows and a few other rare species.

Symbio Endo will associate with all other species except brassicas, laurels, rhododendrons, azaleas, blueberry, cranberry & loganberry that dont have any known associations with mycorrhizal fungi

Some trees and plants associate with both types so one of our products contains both types which is the most popular.

Because there are so many trees and shrubs if you would like to let me know then i would be more then happy to look up on our 60 page information sheet for you and recommend what type of mycorrhizae you would need

Email: [email protected]

Edited by Dan_Symbio

So, we are suggesting that three basic "recipes" will enable succseful inoculation of the trees suggested?

I am keen to read the info avaliable on the site and will do so, maybe I will be convinced, but I think were a long way from a product/service that will be reliable.

There are so many species that asociate with specific or very narrow groups of Mycos, some mention also of the nitrogen contents of soils would be nice to see, as it is all well and good spending fortunes on products, but what is the point in packing off a fungi to a new home if its not happy with the "natural nieghbourhood"

mmm just seen a combined fertaliser myco combo pack! explain the science behind that one?

Edited by Tony Croft aka hamadryad

SMALL PRINT

Symbio offers MycoForce Transplanter for sale but takes

no responsibility for fitness for purpose which extends

beyond the specification sheet or accompanying

literature. Symbio is limited in liability to the replacement

of any product that does not meet the label or data

sheet specifications

CONTAINS

Endo Mycorrhizal species – Glomus clarum, G.

intraradices, G. mosseae, G. deserticola, G.

monosporus, G brasilianum, Gigaspora

margarita. Ecto Mycorrhizal species – Pisolithus

tinctorius, Rhizopogon sp. Beneficial soil fungi

and bacteria (Trichoderma spp., Bacillus spp.,)

Zeolite, Mineral Clay, Trace Elements,

On the research button/link, there is just a list of plants and asscoiated myco formsI.e endo ecto or both, this isnt research, its information surely.

I am keen to know the details, can you give us some references or links to resources so that we can look into the real potential?

HI Cutter,

We liked to show by results. Hence all our research is based on case studies and trials. We have loads of data on our website under case studies.

http://www.symbio.co.uk/horticulture_case_studies.aspx

Also i have uploaded the full list of which plants and trees associates with Mycorrhizae.

http://www.symbio.co.uk/files/datasheets/mycorrhizae/Mychorrhizal%20plant%20in%20the%20UK.pdf

Cheers

Dan

mmm just seen a combined fertaliser myco combo pack! explain the science behind that one?

Subtle nuances relating to the classification of bio-controls and fertilizers in the "licence" application and declarations I would n't be surprised...Basically, fertilizers ( so termed) are a heck of a lot cheaper....

Perhaps Dan will enlighten us....