What is Daldinia concentrica effects!

jamesw

Hi everyone i am after some enlightenment please. I am able to identify this fungus by the king alfreds cakes/ coals, and i have picked up that it causes decay in trees and there structures. What i would like to know is how it goes about this? Specifically does it attck limbs then move downwards to the trunks or vise versa? Interested really in how it attacks, i really hope this makes sense to someone:blushing:

Cheers guys

It does have the potential to attack healthy wood as when the current decay pocket is cleared you will most likely see white patches with black flecks in the healthy wood. Normally codit has a good go at stopping it progressing.

It mainly in the crown causing small pockets of decay but most times ive see it the trees had problems anyway.

Hi,

I've always understood 'Daldinia concentrica' (great words, not as good as Meta-sequoia glypto-stroboides tho!) to be principally saprophytic, i.e. living on deadwood, but once very established it can act parasitically, i.e. attack living wood, but only weakly so.

I usually treat it as an indicator of underlying decayed wood, particularly on Ash, which is useful as the bark often appears in tact and unaffected.

Whether it could be an early sign of Inonotus hispidus activity I don't know but the two things often appear together...could be complete coincidence tho...dunno!

There another definitive answer (NOT!) from the AA Teccie...any more questions want unanswering?!

Cheers..

Paul

I didn't climb this tree but the climber who has 20+ years experience said that the whole tree did not feel right! The tree is covered by a TPO and we were just taking branches in by 5m but have noticed the coals on a large branch closer to the trunk. So need to speak with TO today about a site meeting and to discuss. just wanted to get my facts straight:thumbup1:

If you want to get your facts straight...no offence to anyone who has posted.

AKA Cramp Balls-

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&ei=ua6wS8qGNIHX4gbKwsDWDw&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=1&ct=result&cd=1&ved=0CB4QBSgA&q=daldinia+concentrica&spell=1

Daldinia concentrica

Daldinia concentrica - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

AIE - Tree Fungi - Daldinia

And this is an extract taken from the the workshop given by TreeLife...

"Daldinia concentrica • Common on Fraxinus • Cause a white rot – selective delignification? • Usually on parts already dead for some other reason – so still indicates a cause for

concern • Will render the affected part more liable to breakage..."

Now you are armed with the facts and it takes a matter of minutes to look it up- God bless Google!:001_cool:

edit: I note D Lonsdale indicates that healthy wood may be affected; ref Diagnosis of Ill-heaklh in Trees pg 234

Edited by Bundle 2

Yeah i googled and i have come up with quite alot. i especially liked the old tree reports affecting TPO'd trees. The facts are there but just wanted to pick all the brains on here too.

From my experiece in the work place daldinia concentrica has been found in the trunks around 2/3 up and obviously affected the trunk higher up. So in theory and all other infections accounted for if the limb was taken back to trunk then it could be eradicated.

cheers guys