Woodland trees next to property

Treeation

So just been to my client's to have a look at a woodland strip of around 40m deep at the rear of his garden, there are approx 10 trees in question of which are ivy clad mature ash and sycamore (up to 25m in height). He wants to let more light into the garden and to make the trees as safe as possible - currently they would be close to hitting his house (one fell down in his neighbours garden last week) and he wants to build a summer house within a few metres from the trees.

His initial proposal was to top everything to 20ft (see red line on pic) which seems like a bad idea to me. I couldnt agree with that as seems like a terrible loss of habitat and general tree butchery and not particularly cost effective either. The trees lie in a conservation area too so permission is required. I dont think crown reduction to BS3998 would tick the box for letting enough light in butreduction in height would stabalise the trees somwhat and reduce the danger zone if they did fall.

Im currently thinking of the most cost effective solution. I dont think BS3998 crown reductions are appropriate to the sceniaro, crown thinning would be very time consuming as all trees caked in ivy.

So my current plan is removing a couple of the worst offenders (to ground level) in terms of light blockage and stabaility, severing ivy on all trees and topping 2 trees leaving monoliths. This should certainly alleviate some light issues, would still look good with different woodland structural layers and not be too harsh. In terms of safety I could offer to todo a tree condition survey every 18months to help to mitigate safety if they felt that way inclined (I have PTI and working towards level 4)

Just interested in what others would suggest as I have come across the woodlands close to house dilemma before and find it a bit of head ache!

The usual nightmare.

Were they they there when he bought the house, probably yes.

Are they his trees, are they on the development common ground, or are they a third parties and if so would they give him permission to cut their trees.

Had this many times, never an easy answer.

Whatever you decide, probably wise to precee it with "Notify the Council that I intend to ...." Apart from the severing of ivy, which may make more difference to light anad windfirmness than any pruning. Don't know how you could advise on risk until you do that anyway and wait for it to die back or remove it.

The usual nightmare.

Were they they there when he bought the house, probably yes.

Are they his trees, are they on the development common ground, or are they a third parties and if so would they give him permission to cut their trees.

Had this many times, never an easy answer.

Yes he only recently bought the house, the trees are recent semi-natural woodland (age upto 100years)

He owns half of the trees and the nieghbour the other half, the neighbour will co-operate with any proposed works

Whatever you decide, probably wise to precee it with "Notify the Council that I intend to ...." Apart from the severing of ivy, which may make more difference to light anad windfirmness than any pruning. Don't know how you could advise on risk until you do that anyway and wait for it to die back or remove it.

Do you mean undertake planning app to LPA? if so, yes I would defintely do so for any proposed arb works.

Nope not planning app. With a CA you give notification of the works you intend to carry out to the trees, a section 211 notice, if the LA have any objections their only option is to place a TPO on the trees in question. If the LA don't reply, or do give consent, within 6 weeks then you can carry out the works...

Nope not planning app. With a CA you give notification of the works you intend to carry out to the trees, a section 211 notice, if the LA have any objections their only option is to place a TPO on the trees in question. If the LA don't reply, or do give consent, within 6 weeks then you can carry out the works...

Yep, I know what you mean i just have a habit of calling them planning apps but thankyou for explaining