Oak tree recovering from root damage?

benedmonds

I am interested in what others would recommend..

Don't get confused with "rehydration trench" and "retrench"

This oak was implicated in causing subsidence to a bungalow.

A copper lined root barrier was installed near the house but away from the tree and a rehydration trench was dug in a straight line about 4.5m from the tree. in easter 2014.

Those installing it apparently did not really know what they were doing (I have not seen the spec), but the client tells me they dug a trench put "milk crates" down and linked it to the outflow from the rainwater like soak-away.

Within days the tree dropped leaves on the side of the trench.

There is currently significant DW and lots of reactionary epicormic growth.

The client not willing to mulch

The client wants to feed (which I don't think is a good idea)

Would you just remove the DW and leave it to get on with it?

Or would you reduce/ artificially retrench it to reduce the pressure on the remainder of the tree?

Retrenchment -A crucial stage of aging is when the crown of a fully mature tree begins to retrench (when nutrient and water supply lines from root to crown periphery start to reduce). This is naturally prompted when the roots are unable to finance new peripheral extension, being limited by the canopy having developed to its maximum capacity. Crown retrenchment defines the onset of the ancient phase - often the longest phase. Retrenchment can occur many times in the tree’s lifespan (Fay, 2002)

597674cad3be7_12birdsalave.jpg.8117966041a87aefed45eab36b35c42b.jpg

Personally I am not a fan of deadwooding oak. 1. Oak deadwood isn usually immensely strong, and largely risk-free 2. the tree winll have compartmentalised at te most appropriate place, and opening up wood near these sites will not help 3. oak deadwood is fabulous habitat.

Mulching is the greatest kindness you can do to a tree. Feeding it might give a boost, butif feeding is not continued I imagine the benefits will be lost quickly. Your advice, your client's decision...

Poor tree, I hope you can leave it for a couple of decades to sort itself out instead of attacking it again.

I think de-compacting the root zone by air-spading would definitely be beneficial, then mulch on top. If possible put in a barrier to protect the compaction zone after air spading. Other than the obvious crown retrenchment, from the pics I don't personally feel the tree requires to be fed but a few soil nutrient tests would soon answer that one. If the soil already has sufficient nutrients avail then feeding could cause more issues. Nutrient/Salt buildup etc. However you can't overdose on super thrive. It's excellent stuff !! Good luck with the tree. 👍