Unhappy Cherry

Hi Folks

Guessing this cherry might have some kind of canker. It had a great display of flowers this year but doesn't look great at the mo.

If it is canker will it spread easily to nearby cherry. There's been no damage to the tree where the gunge has been coming out.

Was wondering if it's treatable?

Thanks in advance

Archie

IMG_0143.jpg.59a368b21b088b8d3736213338c11c61.jpg

IMG_0144.jpg.31bb4329c0088a0adb928be3644f1e12.jpg

IMG_0147.jpg.c338e8275497d9b600a698dae909c07d.jpg

IMG_0146.jpg.17892779727f1202979f4400ed7a731a.jpg

1, yes it can easily spread to other nearby cherry's (if not treated)

2, yes it can be treated, but only by heavy pruning of affected areas.

so in conclusion since the infected area looks very close to the stump (making pruning impossible), I would recommend full removal, including grinding out stump as the disease can survive in the stump (and then spread).

1, yes it can easily spread to other nearby cherry's (if not treated)

2, yes it can be treated, but only by heavy pruning of affected areas.

so in conclusion since the infected area looks very close to the stump (making pruning impossible), I would recommend full removal, including grinding out stump as the disease can survive in the stump (and then spread).

So what's you identification of the 'disease'? :confused1:

Looks to me like the Gummosis

It's not really a disease, more a symptom.

The oozing may be caused by root dysfunction directly associated with that part of the lower trunk.

The ground surface material kinda looks like a recent addition? is it possible that the roots were damaged?

The first leaf image shows a leaf miner trail, no real problem in itself

The second leaf image shows caterpillar feeding, no real problem in itself.

Cherries can live for years with trunk gummosis, it's really all about how healthy the roots are in situations like this.

Under lying root damage. The leaves have a good colour, so the tree is mostly happy.

Sort out the roots, and the tree will be happy. One of the estates i manage has a pair of cherries with 'gumosis' (surely there has to be a better name than that David), which have been oozing for as long as i can remember, and they put on a good show every year.

Sent from my D2303 using Arbtalk mobile app

Gumming on cherries (sorry, to give its new technical name, ooziwooziglobulosis :001_smile:) is often a consequence of bark damage. The damage is often caused by bacterial canker, typically in the crotch of the tree and particularly common when the tree has been 'top worked', ie grafted at the desired height for the crown break.

In your case, I don't think it's that. The bark looks otherwise clean and unmarked. I strongly suspect therefore that there is a point of mechanical damage under that gumming - maybe caused when the stone went down.

As such, I would be inclined to leave it alone and not worry too much about it - at least the stone is permeable and removes competition - not the ideal mulch but not too bad as long as it hasn't raised the ground level too much.

Alec

Ooziwooziglobulosis is often present in cherry stems we buy in to top work.

Usually they have had a hard time in transit , damaged bark and bruised stems. They don't all get over it but a good number do.

They can live with it for many years.

sent from my phone but never in work time.

Get over it?

I thought it was a defence mechanism, preventing/reducing moisture loss and creating a physical barrier similar to the resins in conifers.

I can image if there's lots of sites on the tree it could be harmful due to cumulative effects of loss of water conductivity (particularly in a small, young tree), similar to the actions involved in DED

Gents

Thanks for the feedback.

The blossom display was unaffected. Though a number of small branches had died back from the tips and have been removed.

I have knowledge of this tree for the past 4 years and there has been no root disturbance in that time, and the tree is in an area with no footfall.

Having said that it is about 10ft from a tar footpath and I'm not sure if that's been dug up in the last couple of years.

Thanks

Archie