Mulberry Tree not doing well at all (London)

ha2424

This thread is about a Mulberry Tree which I've been pruning for a few years now, but this year it barely produces any leaves. The lower branches have fairly healthy, medium sized leaves (normally though they should be much bigger this time of year), but all upper branches show little signs of leaves (just very tiny leaves trying to sprout along most branches).

Here are a few possible explanations that I came up with, ...but not sure which of these is the most likely or what could be done to save the tree:

- The tree has been pruned harder than usual

- The tree is covered in wounds from many years of hard pruning (to keep tree relatively small)

- Fungus present in a lot of wounds and at the base of the tree

- Extremely dry April in London (virtually no rain)

- Or a combination of the above

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice!!

Thanks for your reply and here are some pictures.

One thing I forgot to mention is that when the tree was young (probably about 30 years ago or so) the trunk split right down the middle and a metal rod has been put in to keep it together. The white fungus that can be seen at the base of the tree (photos 4 and 5) starts right below where the trunk had split.

Thanks in advance for any advice or thoughts!

597674b2c5d08_MulberryTree001.jpg.b88dc803abfdf62dc57d04fd8a8a0a86.jpg

597674b2c7ed3_MulberryTree002.jpg.77e80a143376ba32934205c32a59aaa4.jpg

597674b2ca03c_MulberryTree003.jpg.905fb6216da816c12c7907d6b4aea8f9.jpg

597674b2cc68e_MulberryTree004.jpg.729d0bb8f09db66f6f2216819fd8066b.jpg

597674b2ce318_MulberryTree005.jpg.15db96b4b015f1d8ee610c428448670b.jpg

TBH there are guys on here who will be along who are much more able to give you a more detailed diagnosis/prognosis than me.

It's been regularly pollarded which mulberries usually tolerate reasonably well (over here at least)

The crown that has failed to come into leaf is not going to and when it gets removed there won't be a lot left.

In short it looks like it had its day.

Edited by Mick Dempsey

Thanks a lot for all three replies and maybe I can get a couple more opinions on how to hopefully save the tree.

One option I'm considering is to remove the crown entirely and to just leave the healthier lateral limbs. Would this put too much strain on the tree and completely kill it off? I personally wouldn't mind the 'quirky' appearance as it would work well in this particular garden.