refusing to cut Leylandii tight

flatyre

was asked by a new customer to trim their Leylandii hedge "good and tight". I trimmed it up much tighter than I would normally do only to be told by the customer it needed to be much tighter. I doubt they will ask me back as I told them it was bad for the hedge to cut it so tight as extreme weather could damage it. Is this true and is there any way to get that dense finish without risk. Personally I don't like it, looks fake almost, like green polystyrene. But lots of people seem to go for it even when parts of their prize hedge or topiary turn brown.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The customer is aways right, advise them that it may end up going brown and will never recover, but if thats what the want thats what they get, after all they are the ones paying the bill.

PS, I'm a "tree service" Co, not a "tree care" Co :biggrin:

The customer is aways right, advise them that it may end up going brown and will never recover, but if thats what the want thats what they get, after all they are the ones paying the bill.

PS, I'm a "tree service" Co, not a "tree care" Co :biggrin:

We know you care really, you just pretend not too[emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Arbtalk

I nearly pulled you on the 'customer is always right' bit Dave, but you escaped well with the 'unless you explain to them that they're wrong and explain the ramifications of their ignorance' caveat.

I've cut connies really tight in the past, mixed results at all times of the year.

The thing is, do you want your company name associated with dead hedges?

Well do ya, punk?

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I'll tell them the consequences of cutting tight which is browning off and for some reason it seems to allow the Aphid that destroys it in to kill it even more worse on the golden variety I've found. Once cut and brown I either get called back and asked what to do my answer been cut remove replant with Yew which can be hacked back and gives a much better hedge show um a few pics of yew we have planted leaving out that they were mature when going in.