Building in the RPA

benedmonds

Can you do it? BS5837 5.2.4 states you can move it 20% in one direction for individual open grown trees.. but apart from that is it a complete negative?

I'm trying to put together an ARBORICULTURAL IMPLICAITONS ASSESSMENT, but the biulding is well into the RPA. Are they stuffed?

Depends on your foundation design.

As mistertee says - BS5837 allows you, the professional, to use your judgement as to where the roots are and define the root protection area as you see fit. If you don't think the roots grow radially to a perfect circle from the centre then you can plot you area in a different way.

So the question is, is the trees root morphology accurately deined by your RPA? If so then is there and engineering solution that could mitigate the issue? If not then, yep absolutely stuffed mate. Build a smaller house!

Oh and in terms of the AIA. Point out to the client that they may need an engineer to propose different foundation designs. If they won't do that then it is unlikely the plans will get much further - they wouldn't with us.

You may be at a point where you cannot provide an AIA that will get consent.

• 3 months later...

Does anyone have any information on different foundation designs. Or experience using piles or radial strip footings? How would you specify in a Method Statement? Would you need to have an engineer to have designed the size of piles? Would you then specify hand digging..? So many questions...

Is there a good source of information anywhere which can show some of the solutions to construction in an RPA? I've done the BS5837 course at treescapes and I'm happy now writing a report where the buildings are not within the RPA but in the real world RPA's can be surfaced and using the correct design can be built over where can I find out about these other options?[/b

Does anyone have any information on different foundation designs. Or experience using piles or radial strip footings? How would you specify in a Method Statement? Would you need to have an engineer to have designed the size of piles? Would you then specify hand digging..? So many questions...

Is there a good source of information anywhere which can show some of the solutions to construction in an RPA? I've done the BS5837 course at treescapes and I'm happy now writing a report where the buildings are not within the RPA but in the real world RPA's can be surfaced and using the correct design can be built over where can I find out about these other options?[/b

PM me your email address and mobile and i will give you some info on alternative foundations :icon14: