Liquidambar - leaf coloration

kevinjohnsonmbe

Not sure of the origin (point of sale or cultivar) and didn't think to get a close up leaf shot - been asked to remove due to no colour display at end of season. Seems a pity as it appears otherwise healthy and vigorous young tree planted in prior to current homeowner so no providence available.

Currently growing in dappled sun reasonably close to 2x mature Ash (they are due a crown raise.) Thinking of checking soil condition and type to ensure neutral to acid soil that is moist and well-drained (not expecting it to be too chalky in Cornwall which can, apparently stop them colouring.)

Any suggestions / ideas gratefully received??

I'm thinking soil test, feed & mulch, branch tip prune (size is becoming an issue in available garden space) and look back in a year or 2 if I can convince the owner.

IMG_5500.jpg.e659ce828c1fd2f89b6a29f801719f20.jpg

I've got a few Liquidambar in various hights/sizes and several as big as that and they never just drop their leaves without a colour display first. They are all different every year but the colour seems to vary based on the amount of sun the tree has received during the summer months which as I understand it builds the sugar, giving the colour in Autumn. I would imagine the autumn weather is a factor too but mine always put on a show regardless.

To me it looks like that homeowner just needs to wait a little longer, they normally start the colouration at the top and work down, mine here in northern France are currently in their full flush of colour and we are typically about 10 days to 14 days ahead.

Agree re soil testing. I put some wood ash at the base of a red oak one year. It took 5 years for the leaves to put on a show of red in the autumn again:blushing:

I've got a few Liquidambar in various hights/sizes and several as big as that and they never just drop their leaves without a colour display first. They are all different every year but the colour seems to vary based on the amount of sun the tree has received during the summer months which as I understand it builds the sugar, giving the colour in Autumn. I would imagine the autumn weather is a factor too but mine always put on a show regardless.

To me it looks like that homeowner just needs to wait a little longer, they normally start the colouration at the top and work down, mine here in northern France are currently in their full flush of colour and we are typically about 10 days to 14 days ahead.

Agree re soil testing. I put some wood ash at the base of a red oak one year. It took 5 years for the leaves to put on a show of red in the autumn again:blushing:

:thumbup1:

Same here for two Liquidambars nurtured from garden centre sticks - I thought this would be the year - everything else glowing but no such luck - they're on about two spade depths of soil on limestone - I give them sequestered iron - they sometimes don't shed their leaves until Spring - I know they're in the wrong place but can't bear to part with them - next year could be the year...........

Same here for two Liquidambars nurtured from garden centre sticks - I thought this would be the year - everything else glowing but no such luck - they're on about two spade depths of soil on limestone - I give them sequestered iron - they sometimes don't shed their leaves until Spring - I know they're in the wrong place but can't bear to part with them - next year could be the year...........

Maybe worth a thought if you plan to move them:

"...Liquidambar should be planted in full sun in neutral to acid soil that is moist but well-drained. The genus resents transplanting, but if this is unavoidable, prepare by root-pruning a year in advance..."

Liquidambar | Horticulture Week