Plant Passports

David Humphries

Does anyone have a link to where you could check a plant passport number to identify its point of origin?

Just taken delivery of 2 Platanus x hispanica from a local nursery, only one had a tag on with what looks like a PP number. This may be for both trees as a batch.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Hi David

Been a whole since I've been involved with passports, but I thought the passport number was issued to the nursery? (Might be wrong sorry) so the traceability for individual trees isn't always that great.

Plant health website might help more or go back to the supplier as most plants need a passport number.

Sorry if I'm wrong, it was 15 years ago when I was involved with the nursery world

Thanks

I've been looking at the Defra and plant health websites but it all seems geared up about 'issuing' plant passports, there doesn't seem to be anywhere to check PP numbers.

The nursery where these were sourced from is now shut for the weekend, so I can't check with them.

I've got the tees in quarantine until next weeks planting, just trying to make sure these haven't come from parts of the EU that have Plane Wilt (Ceratocystis platani)

The Tag looks like they have come from Holland but I'm not sure where they came from before that.

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1478868032.552981.jpg.17bfd893217234d0c97f4615b92351a9.jpg.

Yep it does look like there from Holland, the passport number will Identify the nursery it come from, not sure how good the traceability actually is.

I was at the plane wlit seminar at Ely a few weeks backs and what was concerning is that the plant health iinspectiors where sure what plane wlit looked like.

I've got the tees in quarantine until next weeks planting, just trying to make sure these haven't come from parts of the EU that have Plane Wilt (Ceratocystis platani)

The Tag looks like they have come from Holland but I'm not sure where they came from before that.

[ATTACH]213693[/ATTACH].

I know nothing about plant passports but the restriction on issuing a certificate with ZP for Plane Wilt seems to have expired in April 2016 unless it has been renewed on a later document.

I do remember a ship load of beech with bark still on bound for Turkey being issued with a phytosanitary certificate stating it had been treated with ethylene bromide ( the use of which was probably banned in UK at the time) .

I know nothing about plant passports but the restriction on issuing a certificate with ZP for Plane Wilt seems to have expired in April 2016 unless it has been renewed on a later document.

My understanding is that the Protected Zone status has been renewed.

Turkey has literally just been added to the list of Euro countries with Ceratocystis platani.

Yep it does look like there from Holland, the passport number will Identify the nursery it come from, not sure how good the traceability actually is.

I was at the plane wlit seminar at Ely a few weeks backs and what was concerning is that the plant health iinspectiors where sure what plane wlit looked like.

Thats why a group of us went to Italy this summer to see it first hand in the flesh.

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/tree-health-care/100779-ceratocystis-platani-canker-stain-plane.html

David - stating the obvious probably, but presumably you have checked FERA, DEFRA, PHSI?

Yes, looked at those.

There is this: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/plant-health-controls

and reference to using eDomero, but its not clear if the service is for export only, import only, both, or lookup.

I'll look a bit more in to it, but not sure that its somewhere to check a PP number as a customer, but thanks for that.