Progressive die back in Betula pendula

SDDavid

I have a customer with a small number of Betula sp. in his garden, utilis and pendula. One of the pendula started to show signs of die back throughout the crown last year, together with browning and some shot-holing on the leaves on affected branches/twigs. At the time i suggested that as it didn't look too bad that we should just keep an eye on it. This year the die back has progressed; although tyhere are dead twigs throughout the crown, it is worse towards the bottom. Again there are browned leaves on some shoots; it looks like they flushed OK, but then died. Elsewhere there are signs of shot-holing and browned edges.

I have looked through all my books and searched the net, but with no luck. Anyone out there come across similar symptoms and if so, what is the prognosis?

Cheers.

You are not alone.

Just been to look at one this evening.

About 15 inches DBH top 2-3 ft of most branches leafless. Rest of tree has sparse foliage.

The customer says it all happened in the last two weeks!

Can't be sure of the actual timescale but she's not a drama queen prone to errrr. dramatic statements.

Base of tree looks fine, no obvious exudates but leaves all seem to be autumnal.

Reaching for my books as we speak.

This case hasn't had such a dramatic onset as yours and it only seems to be affecting discrete parts of the tree; even so, i'd really appreciate it if you find out anything. I'll try and get a piccy or two to illustrate what i mean.

they are young enough to be killed by honey fungus - any old stumps close by - was the garden on old orchard - any other smaller trees or shrubs died close by

have a look at the roots any bootlaces - any signs of white mycelium

have the trees been planted pot bound and have girdling roots

has anything been spilt around the trees that may have poisoned them

have soil levels always been the same

has a water course close by been diverted or added

some things to consider

None of those things apply here i'm afraid. The only environmental factor i can think of is perhaps chemical treatments used on the lawn that surrounds it. There are two other Birch in the vicinity, but they are situated in flower beds which extend as far as their RPA's, while the one in question is surrounded by lawn. Also, i have noticed that they are shallow rooted, even for birch, though there does not appear to be any mower damage-no roota are actually right at the surface. Are Birch particularly susceptible to chemical fertilizers? or might it be poisoning from any weed/moss treatment possibly mixed in with the product? As far as i know, the customer has used regular lawn treatments for several years, with no problems up until now. Is some kind of cumulative effect possible?

None of those things apply here i'm afraid. The only environmental factor i can think of is perhaps chemical treatments used on the lawn that surrounds it. There are two other Birch in the vicinity, but they are situated in flower beds which extend as far as their RPA's, while the one in question is surrounded by lawn. Also, i have noticed that they are shallow rooted, even for birch, though there does not appear to be any mower damage-no roota are actually right at the surface. Are Birch particularly susceptible to chemical fertilizers? or might it be poisoning from any weed/moss treatment possibly mixed in with the product? As far as i know, the customer has used regular lawn treatments for several years, with no problems up until now. Is some kind of cumulative effect possible?

that could be the problem. have you seen any burn patches in the lawn which implies its been overdone.

if this is the problem water water water - really drench the rooting area

Edited by Paul Cleaver
added text