What is the best way to prevent tree roots lifting block paving

benedmonds

I have a client with a block paving drive. The TPO'd trees are disrupting their block paving. What is the best way to redo the drive and prevent it happening again?

My initial thoughts were to use a cellular confinement system, such as cell web that should create a void?.. Any thoughts..?

5976713c654ab_blockpavingdriveway.jpg.41b3206b26d78b65120b6ed1bd370e42.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Geoweb may offer a suitable solution. Have a look at their website. I did a cpd seminar with them recently and the guy was very helpful, they offer free site visits and consultation.

The guys name is James Gormley number is 07487738473 he was an ARB who has moved into this work and was very knowledgable

The other side of the wall is a road, I would not want to prune/damage any roots this side.

Fair enough, the image and context hadn't really given that complete impression in your first post.

May be worth lifting the paviers to see how extensive the roots are and whether they're just surface roots or multi layer/depth.

Pruning surface roots may still be an option without affecting the stability of the trees.

The root system of most trees as a general rule is 3 times the size of the canopy. Planting trees near or under existing paver blocks or concrete drives is just asking for trouble. Simple solution is don't plant trees near paver block or concrete drives or sidewalk. Sadly the picture of the customers property is classic poor placement of trees with no consideration of future growth habits and damage yet to come.

I would suggest removal of the trees and relaying of the paver block. Otherwise the problem will get worse. I hope the owner does not have a cracked foundation from the trees as well.

easy-lift guy

The root system of most trees as a general rule is 3 times the size of the canopy. Planting trees near or under existing paver blocks or concrete drives is just asking for trouble. Simple solution is don't plant trees near paver block or concrete drives or sidewalk. Sadly the picture of the customers property is classic poor placement of trees with no consideration of future growth habits and damage yet to come.

I would suggest removal of the trees and relaying of the paver block. Otherwise the problem will get worse. I hope the owner does not have a cracked foundation from the trees as well.

easy-lift guy

Ted, read the op, you know the words, removal is not an option, they have a protection order on them.

Ted, read the op, you know the words, removal is not an option, they have a protection order on them.

Thanks for the correction. Sadly I feel the customers is in a loose loose situation. I would argue the TPO if it was me, however common sense probably would not mean very much to the Tree Police

easy-lift guy

Thanks for the correction. Sadly I feel the customers is in a loose loose situation. I would argue the TPO if it was me, however common sense probably would not mean very much to the Tree Police

easy-lift guy

Agreed. But I'd need to see the whole tree in context to really pass opinion.

I guess one could argue that block paving was a poor decision and shingle would have been better.