Air Spading to examine compacted root dysfunction

David Humphries

Hello Marco, thanks for the feedback :thumbup1:

I wasn't around for this one, I just edited the footage together.

Perhaps one of the other guys may explain what was discovered.

The opportunity was partly about letting the FdSc work placement have a go on the airspade and also look at some filming options.

My understanding is that there appeared to be a reduced presence of roots from the trunk in the area where the footpath crossed the root plate and that the Meripilus had more than likely killed off any lateral roots that had been there in the past. This seemed to be reflected in the associated canopy parts where there was some die back.

We intend to block then re-route the path, and also carry out de-compaction

Interesting video Dave. We were decompacting a Thuja the other day and noted some interesting root damage whereby the top surface of the ca. 150mm down (below surface) roots had pretty extensive decay along their upper surface (from unauthorised car parking), but there was pretty abundant fibrous root production just below the extent of the decay once we got a bit lower. This was straight mechanical damage (coarse top "soil" horizon crushing down on the root), but I wonder if you'd get this dense fibrous root production on the obverse of a diseased root.

I'll post some pics when I get a minute.

Out of interest- what do your guys use for PPE in terms of facemasks/breathers etc? We use asbestos-rated disposables, but they're not entirely effective.

Cheers

S

Thanks Scott

ppe has been a work in progress to be honest.

we've gone from full & half face 3m respirators, disposable dust masks, clear & mesh full face visors, safety goggles, safety glasses

I've pretty much settled on the 3m half face respirators, safety specs and helmet visor as going at it like a Stormtrooper is both unpleasant and a hindrance. The risks of silica dust and flying objects are covered by this level of ppe & with that going through a risk assesment, checking on good practice & agreeing a safe system of work should suffice.

I think if its possible, with a mind to having a SSW in place, the best line of protection is taking shifts between operators and if solo taking ample breaks away from the task.

Also believe its important for the rest of the team to be masked up if they come in to the air contamination area.

DSCF1024.JPG.48fb1964a081a6e00cae21eca7513440.JPG

DSCF1030.JPG.f36eb892f497e057cabeb21ff215e143.JPG

DSCF1031.JPG.a39e1ac32fcd507279d72560a8623b3c.JPG

IMG_2678.JPG.f571ba01a3b8063c845abfd108b06afb.JPG

DSC03580.JPG.44747ad4d4ff2ce066fd59dccee24d5d.JPG

IMG_8721.jpg.fed90dbe7dda65b522428eb44f06b400.jpg

539771_623076761077990_1694145387_n.jpg.489c77a98bb0e99ab07b0eca1ec4d4a4.jpg

..........We were decompacting a Thuja the other day and noted some interesting root damage whereby the top surface of the ca. 150mm down (below surface) roots had pretty extensive decay along their upper surface (from unauthorised car parking), but there was pretty abundant fibrous root production just below the extent of the decay once we got a bit lower. This was straight mechanical damage (coarse top "soil" horizon crushing down on the root), but I wonder if you'd get this dense fibrous root production on the obverse of a diseased root.

I'll post some pics when I get a minute.

Certainly would be interested in seeing the images Scott :thumbup1:

I've little experience of seeing subterranean root damage on coniferous trees & how they respond.

David, the commentary is lacking a little - what did you find at the point of fungal decay as it was difficult to determine the extent and what has happened as a result within the canopy? Interesting documentation, thank you.

Hi there, we wanted to have a look below where the fruiting bodies were. We found dead, broken roots - couple of pieces seen on the vid. Some of the root cambium was damaged & 2 roots off the buttresses had died but sprouted again & grew down, looking like they were re-anchoring. Probably due to the merip. At least there was something there, even though there was dieback in the crown that lined up with it.

The flatter side of the stem we thought may have girdling roots, which is what we found, with dieback there on the stem too. The compaction from the path may have caused this.

We took off the dead branches over the path. Be interesting to see if it fruits there again, & if the dieback spreads.

Conrad

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1398808205.728012.jpg.e77bc025d5b2e89ad319384e3caa55ba.jpg

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App