Overgrown Xmas trees

magnum310

Question

Hi

I've got about an acre plot of Xmas trees that after years of neglect I am trying to get rid of to start afresh. I have removed most of the smaller trees, but still have 500ish trees that are anything up to about 35ft tall. Just wondering if anyone knows if there would be any uses for them before I set about chopping and burning? I'm overrun with logs so don't really need any firewood. Any thoughts appreciated!

Ta

10 answers to this question

fell during first 2 weeks of december and advertise oversize large lets say 8ft to 25ft trees for sale. you will be surprised how much demand there is at these sizes and astonished at the cost of purchasing trees this size for xmas. We then fell and cut them to the size required.

Cheers guys, unfortunately they were planted too close together in the first place, so the bottom 10/20ft is just dead, and the tops look a bit too spindly to be selling, some good, arrow straight trunks up to 10in thick though!

I've got some the same, planted a second lot inbetween the first pplanting with the intention that the original planting would be cut and away for xmas trees a year or two later, as with the best laid plans life got in the way and now got a stand of trees so thick you cant walk through it, my plan is cut the bigger diameter trunks into lengths for hedgelaying stakes and the smaller stuff can go on the logpile :001_cool:

What species are they, and how clean are the base lengths?

At 10" dia if they're close enough together to have self-cleaned and a useful species you may just about into the smaller end of sawmill sizes on the bottom lengths. 500 trees sounds a lot on an acre if they're a decent size but if there are a few artic loads it may just at least pay the cost of clearance. Worth talking to your local softwood mill if the above stacks up.

Alec