Stihl Cordles saws ?

splinters

does any body know what the difference is between the two stihl battery powered saws. one is the MSA 160 C-BQ the other is MSA 160 C-BQ AP160&AL300. the latter is double the price.:confused1:

Its a bit confusing

The MSA 160c-BQ (shell) is just the saw, no battery, no charger £269 rrp

The MSA 160c BQ with the AP160 battery and AL charger is £509 rrp

The AP160 battery alone is £175 rrp!

Hope this helps

Its a bit confusing

The MSA 160c-BQ (shell) is just the saw, no battery, no charger £269 rrp

The MSA 160c BQ with the AP160 battery and AL charger is £509 rrp

The AP160 battery alone is £175 rrp!

Hope this helps

That's actually a very reasonable price for a Li-Ion battery of large capacity. if you want proper high prices then look at the Pellenc stuff! Well over £1600 + vat for their biggy - mind you, it really is a biggy.

If memory serves me correctly, the Stihl cordless is only good for 150 cuts in 8" larch was the figure I heard. When you translate this to the real world, that's about a tank of fuel through a 50cc saw, if that! Whereas the Pellenc will run all day I think.

There was someone poaching for firewood with a Stihl cordless on a Sunday afternoon a few weeks ago near me - fallen beech on FC land, nice and quiet so as not to attract attention :lol:

If memory serves me correctly, the Stihl cordless is only good for 150 cuts in 8" larch was the figure I heard. When you translate this to the real world, that's about a tank of fuel through a 50cc saw, if that! Whereas the Pellenc will run all day I think.

There was someone poaching for firewood with a Stihl cordless on a Sunday afternoon a few weeks ago near me - fallen beech on FC land, nice and quiet so as not to attract attention :lol:

Yep, the Pellenc will run all day. HOWEVER, we looked at getting two Pellenc hedgecutters and battery packs, but the all in price was £5k.... FAR TOO EXPENSIVE. I know contractors who have been forced into buying them in order to win certain tenders, yet they won't use them in real life - the whole battery pack + cord to attach to machine is just completely impractical for any work that involves climbing trees or ladders, or scrabbling around in the bush etc. And the work they tendered for, which was around schools etc, hence the need for quiet equipment, can just be carried out when the schools are shut!

The Stihl saw, which is 'only good for 150 cuts in 8in larch' can be recharged in half an hour. With 2 battery packs then you've got enough for 300 cuts in 8 inch larch, which in real terms equates to many many more cuts in the typical stuff it might be use for, i.e. stuff of just a few inches. And it's a fraction of the cost of the Pellenc stuff. The Pellenc chainsaw is almost £1k on its own, and on top of that you need at least another £1k for the battery pack. And can you imagine snedding with battery on your back, and the chainsaw attached to that with a cord? Or working in a tree with the cord in addition to all your usual climbing gear?