What would you pay  

26 members have voted

1. 1. What would you pay

• £50-£75
    • £75-£100
    • £100-£120
    • less than £50

Ok so here goes,

As this year seems to of taken a sudden nose dive in the numbers of people taking part in the events, i was want to hear peoples views on what would interest them in taking part at an event after all you have to pay to enter!!

All i ask is for you opinion on what you'd expect after parting palm's with silver.

Just to get the ball rolling how much would you pay for a just one big 3day event. and the top three would go to the ETCC and the first would also gain entry to the ITCC

Don't forget if you were likely to get get good prizes and free goodie bags per entrant with something of use not just any old crap, camping and a pasta party night with the possibility of live band. and even a a free workshop on tree climbing techniques, and a unique keep sake for that event.

Edited by Stuart Witt

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the workshop and band/party would be good and on site camping is always good too. i think more info leading up to the event would be helpful to allow people to make plans for it.

alternatively, fancy dress would make for a brilliant event!

Hey Stu,

I missed my first comps in five years this time around. I've found the total cost for me has gradually crept up with the combination of travel, days off, food/booze and entrance fee. Its not the ISAs fault - just the way of things.

Over the years, the comps I have enjoyed the most have been those that encourage the group to stay together. The Guildford rugby club comp (2007?) Myerscough 2009 (or was it 2008?) springs to mind - I'd have to dig the Tshirts out to get the years right.

Whilst the goodie bags are nice to get, I'd prefer to see more of any money I spent going into facilities and entertainment. Having a break day before the masters is difficult to implement but it worked well in allowing greater interaction between the regular top notch comp climbers and us normos.

Also while I think of it, IMO I'd like to see a consistent prize for the best tech/judge and the awarding of the spirit of the comp to more people outside the top ranks.

So yeah, I'd chuck 50-70 at you (in advance of course) if we had a cohesive event with one nights catering, some entertainment (even if it is just you throwing yourself at a bunch of bar stools) and some inclusive camping / facilities. Sounds good.

Yes information is they key!!

This year and in the past i feel it could have been handled better, but thats the past and the future is in front of us all.

Having said that, We now have the Arb forums Facebook and email and telephones too in this modern era we all live in. so we can only hope for better communications.

Hey Stu,

I missed my first comps in five years this time around. I've found the total cost for me has gradually crept up with the combination of travel, days off, food/booze and entrance fee. Its not the ISAs fault - just the way of things.

Over the years, the comps I have enjoyed the most have been those that encourage the group to stay together. The Guildford rugby club comp (2007?) Myerscough 2009 (or was it 2008?) springs to mind - I'd have to dig the Tshirts out to get the years right.

Whilst the goodie bags are nice to get, I'd prefer to see more of any money I spent going into facilities and entertainment. Having a break day before the masters is difficult to implement but it worked well in allowing greater interaction between the regular top notch comp climbers and us normos.

Also while I think of it, IMO I'd like to see a consistent prize for the best tech/judge and the awarding of the spirit of the comp to more people outside the top ranks.

So yeah, I'd chuck 50-70 at you (in advance of course) if we had a cohesive event with one nights catering, some entertainment (even if it is just you throwing yourself at a bunch of bar stools) and some inclusive camping / facilities. Sounds good.

Cheers for the feedback Tony.

Yes i would say that facilities are the important things at comps, hot showers, toilets, and there would be free camping too an food.

I even might chuck myself at bar stools again just for you?

If one large UK final competition can be organised I would pay anything from £50 - £100.

More effort can be put into one good event than lots of smaller ones. These competitions take a lot to organise, and it needs to be done well in advance.

If any one wants to hold jamboree style comps, which are relaxed, and help encourage 'new blood' then these can be organised independitly of the ISA.

I think that people like to see where their money goes. Goodie bags are a good idea, not everyone gets placings in the prelims, so there are many people that are regular climbers, and its a nice supprise to turn up and get stuff before you've even climbed!

Some evening entertainment to get everyone together is a must.

I am a big fan of the fancy dress idea!