560xp plug won't stop

Gary Prentice

One of our six month old 560XP's came back last night as a non-runner. Story is it ran out of fuel, then wouldn't restart.

That's the story. Reality is some **** has jammed the bar, wrenched the saw out and broken the lower AV spring below the filler cap. Saw feels a bit sluggish pulling over, so I've removed the exhaust. Very slight score mark, but the ring and crown look 'gummed up'

Checking through, doesn't look like the air filter has been cleaned in months - the member of staff responsible had to go a week or two back -other issues! Stripped carb as the air inlets were manky with dried oily dust residue. Re-assembled all pipes and wiring.

Got a spark in both the switched on and off position, which I found out by turning the saw upside down and turning over to ensure no fuel was sat in the bottom of the crankcase.

Is this a symptom of a faulty module - the one attached to the carb or something else.

As I can see it now;

1)

faulty switch- but I'd assume that the saw would still run but not turn off -what older saws do anyway!

2)

Strip the pot and piston out cos the ring looks as if it might be stuck (gummed up)

I'm floundering a bit with the next step, because I don't know the significance of the continuous spark.

Tempted to go and buy some china saws, let the lads use them for a month and they may take more care of good ones.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when U checked for spark, i trust u were holding the button down?

if not, when the switch returns to the middle position or up (choke), ignition is on.

its designed to be 'always on'

Sent from my iPad using Arbtalk

when U checked for spark, i trust u were holding the button down?

if not, when the switch returns to the middle position or up (choke), ignition is on.

Sent from my iPad using Arbtalk

It's been an extremely long day...............

I'm getting old you see. Thanks for pointing out I'm stupid:blushing::lol::lol:

I'll warm a plug from a running saw and try again. Thanks

Yea ON all the time . so no worries there . If filter was chocka with crap A/T probably needs re setting as per book . Maybe worth getting it plugged in to PC at dealers and having it reset to de fault setting and go from there .....

Yea ON all the time . so no worries there . If filter was chocka with crap A/T probably needs re setting as per book . Maybe worth getting it plugged in to PC at dealers and having it reset to de fault setting and go from there .....

When you say on all the time, I've just pulled it over with the switch held down and it still sparks - definitely in the off position. Should it?

the filter was bad, the plastic housing the filter attaches to had a coating of gunk, but I've seen worse.

Just pulling over with and without the decomp button in feels the same to me. I'm still leaning towards a stuck ring. But I wanna go home. I'm going to think about it and probably pull the pot off. I cant rotate or move the ring up or down -carefully probing at it through the exhaust outlet with a pick, so?

Ok . Sounds like your right with the stuck ring . From what you say damage sounds minimal and could be salvaged with care . ON / Off switch seems wrong , maybe a wire off . Being ON all the time is not a problem in its self but having to choke an A/T saw to kill it may lead to problems .

Ok . Sounds like your right with the stuck ring . From what you say damage sounds minimal and could be salvaged with care . ON / Off switch seems wrong , maybe a wire off . Being ON all the time is not a problem in its self but having to choke an A/T saw to kill it may lead to problems .

Switch will have to come back off for the pot anyway, so I can check that. I wonder if one wire from the switch runs to earth and has been pulled off with the play due to he broken mount. I'll find out.

Difficult when you can't get a sequence of events off the lads, feel like your fishing in the dark with problem solving. Another saw wasn't cutting straight, so they swapped bars and couldn't put the bad bar onto this one. Chainbreak was engaged, so how the hell they got it off I dread to think.

Thanks for your help Stubby:thumbup1:

From the operator manual;

NOTE! The start/stop switch automatically returns to run

position. In order to prevent unintentional starting, the

spark plug cap must be removed from the spark plug

when assembling, checking and/or performing

maintenance