Health Risks!

Buzzsurgeon

After reading a thread about back and joint pain, I thought I would start one about the most over looked risk to your health, 2 stroke exhaust fumes!

If you are really concerned about your health, especially in later life, consider using Aspen fuel. I started using it about 6 years ago and straight away I could feel the difference, no dull head aches and no cacky throat.

Also I found if I spilt it on my clothes there was almost no smell, and any smell gone within a minute or two, great if you need to carry or store saws in your cab or van.

How many times have you been in the top of a hedge or in thick conifer brash, especially on a cold morning with your eyes stinging coughing up your ring.

About twice the price of regular 2 stroke but better than lung cancer. If I had a choice over my chainsaw trousers or Aspen fuel I would chose Aspen fuel every time, a leg chainsaw injury is recoverable but long term lung disorders??? It's an essential piece of PPE that is commonly overlooked, plus it also has environmental benefits, got to be worth the extra!

I used aspen 2 stroke fuel in Norway, they sell the stuff in 25l drums. It was realy pleasent and made my crave a good chippy because it uses veg oil lubricants instead of mineral oil. So you ended the day smelling like a chip shop and no head aches it was only slightly more expensive than normal petrol out thier. Also i think it was part of norwegian environmental law that you had to use the stuff but i am not sure. Does anyone have a source for it in scotland ?

According to the firm that imports aspen into this country, it was developed by an engineer at volvo or saab to reduce the emissions from their cars but was prohibitively expensive in the quantities required as its made from the distillates at the top of the cracking towerat the refinery, so he left there and sold his idea to the forestry market and lo we have aspen 2 and 4 stroke. I've even heard of people buying some 4 stroke for their car to run on leading up to the mot so the emissions are lower:sneaky2:. I think the importers are anglo american oil

I would definitely be interested in using the stuff but the price does seem to be a liitle on the high side.

Although I have noticed the price of petrol has started creeping up again, gone from 82.9 to 89.9 around here :scared1:

Can it be used now and then ie when doing hedges like you say but back to 2 stroke when doing normal tree work?

You can use it along side petrol but I found that some machines required the tick over screw increasing a little, once you start you will be reluctant to go back to pump petrol.

Should be a legal requirement as in some Northern European countries, and available at the pump at a fair price!

You can use it along side petrol but I found that some machines required the tick over screw increasing a little, once you start you will be reluctant to go back to pump petrol.

Should be a legal requirement as in some Northern European countries, and available at the pump at a fair price!

I think the cost is high because as Penfold said;

"its made from the distillates at the top of the cracking tower"

It's the same reason, as i understand it, that diesel has gone up in price over recent years; there is a certain proportion of each grade produced from standard crude, as diesel become increasingly popular so demand caught up with and then started to push supply. So it became less of a by-product.

I find Aspen slightly sickly in smell, and don't use it all the time, but despite the cost I can find uses for it.

• 4 years later...

there is a post going on aspen and if you have a look eddie aspen has put dealers in scotland. never use anything else in my blower chainsaw. i ran out yesterday and needed to finish off a job used normal 2 stroke the fumes i was glad to get done as it stunk using normal 2 stroke. the goverment should be giving a rebate for using this fuel. but its tax :thumbdown:

Thread started 17.02.09 and last but previous post on 19.02.09. But still a good thread. Eddie's not 'Superman' but he is a super man and getting Aspen in where he can. As to government and taxes - they could care more about safety & environment. But nothing speaks louder, than the prospect of milking the general populous out of yet more money.

"One lives 19 miles from parliament and one has to have a second home paid for by the tax-payer, as it's too far to commute." There's hardly an honest MP in the house. And what happens after an inquiry into corruption of MP's expenses. No MP with fraudulent claims has to repay the entire sum and many, too many, got away with not having to repay a penny.

Put them in the stocks for 6 months and let them feast on the rotten fruit that's thrown at them. Ah, but back to taxes. You might as well rig a tube between your muffler-lungs and hope not to pass-out. Than wait for reduced fuel taxation.