What's my dead elm worth?

Central

Hi I have 2 dead elm in the garden, both about 18m tall, both with the bark peeling off, so should be reasonably dry.

Given their diameter, I reckon there is about 16tonnes of timber there.

So the questions are.

1) how many m3 loose will that likely produce, if split into 12 inch long sections, typical size for burning in stoves. From that I can work out what it will be worth if I process and sell it myself

And

2) what is it worth to a firewood dealer, once it is felled and cut into metre long lengths. So they would collect the wood in that state.

I prefer burning Larch in our boiler, it takes less time to light, so may even do a trade. But need to know my starting point for negotiation.

Thank you for your help.

Regards

Derek

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't wanna put a downer on ya but elm isn't great firewood. If it's on the ground (your elm) it can soak water up like a sponge. It can be a real s o b to split it stringy and doesn't pop apart easily so hope ya got a splitter.

Burning it don't give much heat in fact it can just sit there and well sit there lol. Back home no one will touch the stuff apart from the furniture guys or the wood carvers. If it in good condition maybe milling it is an option.

But if it free then better than nothing

sorry if ya think this rude folks here might have different opinion tho

I don't wanna put a downer on ya but elm isn't great firewood. If it's on the ground (your elm) it can soak water up like a sponge. It can be a real s o b to split it stringy and doesn't pop apart easily so hope ya got a splitter.

Burning it don't give much heat in fact it can just sit there and well sit there lol. Back home no one will touch the stuff apart from the furniture guys or the wood carvers. If it in good condition maybe milling it is an option.

You have clearly never burnt dead Elm, that's been killed by DED, the is no hotter burning timber, IMO

It is hard to process, but once cut and split, it is the finest of all fire woods.

Got to agree about burning dead elm.

I love the wee poles that don't need splitting. Great heat from them.

I have found that the trunk, even though looking dry, will still have some moisture inside. It'll dry quicker than truely green elm, but still not ready to burn straight away.

Edited by Monikieman
spelling

Hi I have 2 dead elm in the garden, both about 18m tall, both with the bark peeling off, so should be reasonably dry.

Given their diameter, I reckon there is about 16tonnes of timber there.

So the questions are.

1) how many m3 loose will that likely produce, if split into 12 inch long sections, typical size for burning in stoves. From that I can work out what it will be worth if I process and sell it myself

And

2) what is it worth to a firewood dealer, once it is felled and cut into metre long lengths. So they would collect the wood in that state.

I prefer burning Larch in our boiler, it takes less time to light, so may even do a trade. But need to know my starting point for negotiation.

Thank you for your help.

Regards

Derek

First, dead elm trees x 2 at 18m high - nowhere near 16 ton; less than half that I would expect (no butt diameter given...).

It's worth nowt to a firewood merchant because of the hassle of transport; if it's straightish 7-8' sticks and will fill a lorry (which your volume won't) you'd be in luck; no merchant is going to want 1m lengths - they won't cover the pins on the lorry.

Well that's a load of crap; too much reading that silly old firewood poem methinks. Elm is amazing firewood...

Dead Elm is great firewood, I had some and it burns so hot, as for 18 tonnes I think you are well out there, as for value it would be worth a bit once cut and split but until then its worth what you can get really maybe 200 quid if your lucky.

Sent from Hodge's eye phone using the new fancy Arbtalk Mobile App:)