chipper flywheel repair??

treesnatcher

would really appreciate any advice.

i have had a knife shatter and it has bent the pocket and the bolt quite badly.

it is on an old jensen a521di that otherwise runs very well for its age.

jensen can supply a new flywheel at an (unbelievable, dare you to guess) uneconomical price.

i understand that i need to get it rebalanced if i attempt a repair.

Has anyone done similar and did the repairs work long term.

does anyone have a "scrapyard for woodchippers" the flywheel is same on all 6" jensen chippers i think.

Regards Andy

jensen can supply a new flywheel at an (unbelievable, dare you to guess) uneconomical price.

does anyone have a "scrapyard for woodchippers" the flywheel is same on all 6" jensen chippers i think.

Regards Andy

speak to andy tree quip on here ,he should be able to help you out ,if not point you in the right direction :001_smile:

Regards Andy

Chipper flywheels aren't nearly as sensitive as people immagine, they are only doing about a thousand rpm which in the world of spinning things isn't massive.

I have repaired damage to a number of fly wheels and fixing a blade pocket dosent sound like a major job.

Before you make the repair and remove all the blades and the drive belts, give the wheel a gentle spin and mark the position it comes to rest, repeat that a couple of times to see if it forms a pattern. Make the repair snd see if anything has changed

If it is grossly out, weight the high side and with a bit of trial and error you will get it to an acceptable point

Your bearings do need to be in good order first, don't try this with a dodgy one.

Ive recently had a very expensive experience with this.

On a TW tho, not sure of build robustness comaparability.

But check that the shaft and the bearings are ok and the rotor housing is not warped in any way before going any further.

Ive recently had a very expensive experience with this.

On a TW tho, not sure of build robustness comaparability.

But check that the shaft and the bearings are ok and the rotor housing is not warped in any way before going any further.

Good advice, Jensen build with bigger shafts and bearings than timberwolf. :thumbup1:

Loosing a blade won't generally do any major damage.

Good advice, Jensen build with bigger shafts and bearings than timberwolf. :thumbup1:

They do seem to use bearings that are not readily available or standard. Also their bearings are not self aligning. This may make for a more rigid cutter but doesn't it make alignment more critical?

They do seem to use bearings that are not readily available or standard. Also their bearings are not self aligning. This may make for a more rigid cutter but doesn't it make alignment more critical?

you can get jensen bearings of the shelf ,what you cant get is the rear bearing housing that is custum built to fit in a tight spot ,:001_smile:

Our hopper side bearing went on the A530.

A local engineering company owed me a big favour so went to them.

The bearing housing is flame cut steel, not cast, so they sourced me new innards for a fraction of the price of a complete new bearing.

Took the machine in on a Friday morning, i went up to Pontefract for the new insides, picked the chipper up at 8pm Friday night.

Total price, including fitting was £80 ( like i said, they owed me a favour).

I even gave the fitter £20 for his trouble :lol: