Extrinsic allergic alveolitis

David Humphries

Ok, title was probably a bit stuffy. :001_rolleyes:

What this is really about, is exposure to & lung contamination from certain animal and vegetable dusts.

Symptoms may include some of the following;

cough

breathlessness

sweating

sore throat

headache

nausea

occasional fever

loss of weight

lack of energy

In general, flu-like symptoms

So, do we as an industry take this seriously enough and protect ourselves with appropriate PPE ?

Discuss........

IMG_0130.jpg.cd03bae6c6fa25cbd0ae06f7da393245.jpg

IMG_3909.jpg.6ed0a2df02ee5d462a711258ed0d34e9.jpg

LT_GHP_SummerAutumn_222.jpg.0cbdae39214de2137b6262ab3558d7b2.jpg

Your also forgetting fumes from saws and chippers too

Good point though, also reminds me of that story about a man who had a tree growing in his lungs after inhaling a seed!

And planes too! I hate planes!

What are we supposed to do though? Were gas/face masks? It'd be way to hot and horrible

?mmmm?

Sent from Rob's GalaxySII

What are we supposed to do though? Were gas/face masks? It'd be way to hot and horrible

Risk assess the task at hand (more often) and consider the particulate atmospere around us,

that we probably nearly all (if the truth be known) either ignore or don't perhaps think about ?

• 2 weeks later...

Over past few years I've been exposed to dust from cutting blocks and pavers with a disc, lime (hydralime), cement, ivy, hedgecutting, chainsawing, possibly cadmium from research work at uni. Sometimes I'd wear a mask to start, get too uncomfortable and bin it, then carry on just holding my breath or making sure the wind is blowing in the right direction.

Over past 12 months I've been having probs with shortness of breath, chest pains, coughing and fatigue, and ended up with pneumonia a short while back, and am currently being seen by consultants at hospital for more chest xrays and high res CT scan, after already having had cardiac investigations (anyone had a cardiac catheterised angiogram? Lovely!).

There might be a connection between my symptoms and my work! At times I feel 45 going on 95, but then I get straight through the shortness of breath crap and work away as normal. What you think?

Edited by Pedroski

Over past few years I've been exposed to dust from cutting blocks and pavers with a disc, lime (hydralime), cement, ivy, hedgecutting, chainsawing, possibly cadmium from research work at uni. Sometimes I'd wear a mask to start, get too uncomfortable and bin it, then carry on just holding my breath or making sure the wind is blowing in the right direction.

Over past 12 months I've been having probs with shortness of breath, chest pains, coughing and fatigue, and ended up with pneumonia a short while back, and am currently being seen by consultants at hospital for more chest xrays and high res CT scan, after already having had cardiac investigations (anyone had a cardiac catheterised angiogram? Lovely!).

There might be a connection between my symptoms and my work! At times I feel 45 going on 95, but then I get straight through the shortness of breath crap and work away as normal. What you think?

what do I think! I think youve got a severe dose of industrial dust etc!