Welcome to the Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Training and Health Discuss training and diets, injuries and rehabilitation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31-03-11   #1 (permalink)

Strength Training

Evenin' all,

Had a scan through the threads on here about Weight training - I've been doing it myself since November last year after I packed in smoking but I'm finding my strength hasn't jumped up a huge amount. My main exercising is just with 20kg dumb bells doing a few varied exercises [Bicep Curl / Tricep kick back / Pullovers ] but I've been finding my chest hasn't increased a great deal either.

My Q is - Whats the best exercises to do ? & is it worth looking into whey protein and other supplements ? My diet is pretty good and packed with meats/eggs and complex carbohydrates but just not getting that edge I'm after. But I've read that kettlebells are great, doing benchpress helps and even just plain pressups so I'm a bit confused on whats best.

Any insight/help/advice would be appreciated,

Cheers

- Mike
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.
- T.E.Lawrence
Old 31-03-11   #2 (permalink)
Supporting member, Raffle Sponsor 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Re: Strength Training

Kettlebells

will give you great grip and functional strength also great for muscle endurance and cardio everything you need in this job, get someone who knows how to use them show you

best of luck and well done on ditching the cancer sticks
Old 01-04-11   #3 (permalink)

I'll have to order some off Amazon and give them a bash, mate of mine is big into his training over in Elland so i'll pick his brains on it and ask him to give me a demo. Thanks Robert

Edit : Thanks by the way, Hypnotherapy seemed to do the job, not had 1 Ciggy since nor want to.. if anything cig smoke smells pretty bloody rancid now lol
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.
- T.E.Lawrence
Old 01-04-11   #4 (permalink)

squats, bench press, deadlifts, power cleans thats all you need to do 3 to 4 sets of 4 to 6 reps . use the formula that is say if your best squat is 100 kg x1 rep , then you should do x2 reps @ 95 kg then 3reps @90 kg and so on, if you dont know how to do these exercise's then go to a gym and let a pro show you,
all the best dave
Old 01-04-11   #5 (permalink)

protien shakes are just a licence to print money, don' t give em the satisfaction of ripping you of!!! as long as you eat well and are hydrated you'll be fine.
the best thing is to add a pinch of salt to squash or water much better for you than any lucozade!!!

Thats what i learn't in about year and half of sports nutrition!

all the best Ollie
Old 01-04-11   #6 (permalink)
J.D

I really fancy giving this a go mate, but don't have the hex dumbells, looks proper hard work though which is what I need to shift the love handles.

Andy Whitfield’s Spartacus Workout and Diet | Get Fit and Lose Weight | MotleyHealth®
Old 01-04-11   #7 (permalink)
Site Moderator, Raffle Sponsor 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave fox View Post
squats, bench press, deadlifts, power cleans thats all you need to do 3 to 4 sets of 4 to 6 reps . use the formula that is say if your best squat is 100 kg x1 rep , then you should do x2 reps @ 95 kg then 3reps @90 kg and so on, if you dont know how to do these exercise's then go to a gym and let a pro show you,
all the best dave
Too right - just can't beat heavy basic lifts IMO. After a while chuck some chins and dips in. Rippetoe gives a good simple programme.
Old 01-04-11   #8 (permalink)

i prefer this work out myself...

enjoy

http://www.lake-district-yurts.co.uk/ 10% discount to arb's
Old 01-04-11   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle sponsor 2010

I'm certainly nonexpert mate (am only 12 stone) but try upping weight a little each week to gain strength and keep changing your routine to hit your body differently. As Ollie says proper eating is the key but I find protein shakes between meals is extra help as I burn food off very quickly. Yeti is the man to talk to mate he does the strongman and I think he said he's about 20clem
Old 01-04-11   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2012, 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareroots View Post
i prefer this work out myself...

enjoy
not sure he wants pec's that big