rowing machines !!

Johny Walker

They do give you a good all round going over, but if you want just one machine at home that will do the best all round workout then get a cross trainer.

Personally I hate cross trainers, and I'd have a treadmill before getting either of them, but that's just my personal preference.

If you are looking at buying a proper rower that will last forever look at a Concept 2.

Great for cardio(weight loss) If you google concetp 2 plenty of help.I use a pulsar heart rate monitor (£30 ARGOS),You can really work at a point that will maximise your efforts (60-70 % max HR For weight loss),Plus helps as a motivational tool,Good luck

Forgot to add earlier, one other downside for the rower:

The sequence of actions used to row is very similar to ones you already do at work, ie pulling the oar towards you is much the same as body thrusting/brash dragging/pulling ropes, and the leg press part of the row action is very much like lifting logs or footlocking.

As part of a workout no problem, but again if you want just one machine, and you do tree work during the day, then get something that uses completely different movements, otherwise you will just be working the same joints and muscle groups twice over.

• 1 month later...

Out of all the cardio equipment at the gym, I only ever use the rowing machines. I get bored far to quickly on the treadmills, bikes and cross-trainers. I'll warm up with 1,000metres, then do weights then warm down with 1,000metres. Only problem with them is that it's pretty tricky to fiddle with the display whilst rowing one handed.

• 3 months later...

I row fine race boats competitively and ergs are an essential part of my fitness training and water technique ... as grueling and horrible as they can be! Very good method for fat burning, as well as leg muscles and core.

Don't be afraid to change how you work on them as well ... i.e doing a 40min piece is a very good cardio work out, but burst training like 18x 200 metre sprints with a 30sec interval is torturous but great for power training.

A lot of people don't even think about rowing machine technique, I could piss on people twice my fitness who row 'gym style' purly because its not an efficient way to produce power. Arms should be kept fully straight until your legs are flat and only then you should you rock your body over, finishing sat up tall with a strong back. And for the recovery stroke, hands away, body away, THEN your legs, and the recovery stroke should take 3x as long as the drive stroke.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLd_7NA1qkU&feature=related]YouTube - ‪Indoor Rowing Technique‬‏[/ame]

And don't fall into the trap of whacking the machine up to resistance 10 ... heavyweight male rowers will have it at 6/7 ... if you can bang out good times on 10 (sub 6mins 20 for a 2k)... then you should be rowing for GB!