Yoga

Steve Bullman

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I have tried it, after my back injury I went to a nice gentle yoga class to get my suppleness back, it was very good but then the yoga class changed and so did the teacher, she was unbelievably pretty and could touch her forehead on her shins, my missis encouraged be not to go after that.

i started going to yoga after i hurt my back, it really helped, but it is something you have to do regulary over a period of time if you really want to feel the benefits.also be aware of the class you are attending, one class i attended was full of 60 year old women and wasnt really dynamic egnough for me (but i did get some work out of it) . ive been going a nd practising regulary for about 6 months and really found that it has eased my back problems and incsreased my flexabiliy

Hi Steve

As you know, I've been practising yoga for a couple of years (not on a daily basis i might add) now & I couldn't shout it's benefits loud enough. There are many forms of yoga of which many are certainly not for me, with differing emphasis on breathing techniques, postures or general physical challenge of postures. It interesting to see how difficult it is to make it a daily practise because it's so easy to make crap excuses for not getting out of bed half an hour earlier.

Anyhow, I was recently at a 3day workshop with this fella. Check out the photo section & bare in mind the guy with the dreads is 74 years old & didn't start yoga until he was 55. It's never too late but sooner could be better than never.

G'luck

Nod

http://www.dannyparadise.com

• 1 month later...

It is good to have the soft extreme stretches etc. to even out the hard extreme stretches we do.

But, don't sell tree work short. We get more yoga type movmeant than most. A lot of yoga is physically about recapturing lost , helpful movements that animals due Naturally; but we miss/ traded in the yin/yang for our intelligence. ie; the sound in our head from our brains drowns out the Natural callings the rest of the kingdom hears...

That is why a lot of yoga movements are named after animals; and what we try to get the pluses from the movements that they have. So, yoga traces the animate stages of existence; to try to attain these. Tree climbing itself traces what our nearest relative uses to exercise; so we partially do this; just not generally in the slow, careful way of yoga.

One of the most important aspects of yoga is breath/ prana. The Easterns make the point that you can live so long without companionship, food, water; but the western, forsaken concentration on breath as feeding and cleansing; is the most important. All other animals also massage internal organs by their deep breathing; but also their type of locomotion. The swim of a fish, squirm of a snake, alternate walking sequence of quadrapeds, flight of a bird etc. all massively stretch and compress the visceral region to massage these vital organs. Normal man walking forsakes this. But, climbing man's leg raises and extensions compress and stretch this vital area very well!

The alternating, right angles of pull on muscles of climbing, is also kinda yogic. As is the total exhaustion; that requires the total recharging of the electrolytes like other batteries; for the deepest sleep.

i'm not saying we are already there; but closer than most; and perhaps with more concentration and exaggeration, as well as appreciation of these things; in our 'normal' routines; can carry us farther than most. As part of the riches of this thing that we do; that binds us like no others! We could still use the softer side of yoga; but as you investigate, realize how much you already know, have and can extend just a mite further.

-KC