tickets and the law

Angus Taylor

This is the first time I've posted on here could anyone help me regards training and the law. I work for a council who are not providing any training atoll. We are expected to cover all areas of tree work from rigging to driving machinery. We are constantly told there is no budget for training. Is this legal? Thanks

It'll be fine until something goes wrong! Personally I'd make sure all requests for training were logged (say email etc) if only to just cover your back (& the lads you work with) Cos they'll try & pass the buck in the event something goes pear shaped. I'm guessing you don't do risk assessments at every job either?!

Health & Safety at Work Act - Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations - Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations - Work at Height Regulations...for starters.

All the above make some mention of the employers provision of information / instruction / training / competence to a greater or lesser degree, i.e. it's an employer's duty.

If what you say is correct you need to speak to your Union of safety rep...often one and the same person.

Take care out there..

Paul

This is an interesting post. There is a garden company I sub to every now and then but they have this polish guy who goes up fairly big trees with no formal training, no ropes, no harness. He uses a pole saw and a top handle. I keep telling the boss that he shouldn't be operating like this but he doesn't care. It all seems to be about speed and money. (I'm only used if lowering is needed)

Is the polish guy allowed to do this, is it a case of personal choice or should the company be held accountable? I mean, if the guy (worst case scenario) fell and died, surely the company would be in a world of hurt?

This is an interesting post. There is a garden company I sub to every now and then but they have this polish guy who goes up fairly big trees with no formal training, no ropes, no harness. He uses a pole saw and a top handle. I keep telling the boss that he shouldn't be operating like this but he doesn't care. It all seems to be about speed and money. (I'm only used if lowering is needed)

Is the polish guy allowed to do this, is it a case of personal choice or should the company be held accountable? I mean, if the guy (worst case scenario) fell and died, surely the company would be in a world of hurt?

The company/boss will be held accountable by the HSE if and when something happens.

Thats worrying that a council of all people are taking that stance. I can understand a small 2 man band trying to save money, but councils should really be setting an example when it comes to things like this IMO

A bit like the local council tree team I drove past the other day where one guy was holding a short chog in one hand and cutting a log off it with his 201 in the other, at the side of the road. :biggrin:

A bit like the local council tree team I drove past the other day where one guy was holding a short chog in one hand and cutting a log off it with his 201 in the other, at the side of the road. :biggrin:

Thats ok chris it's the council, they can change the rules as and when needed!