hiring out a chipper

malc

just wondering what people do regarding hiring out there machinery?

I have got a new chipper now and I am thinking about hiring out my old chipper to some of my landscaping customers. what are the legal requirements regarding giving them instruction to using it? will I have to have something in the paperwork saying its the users responsibility to have adequate training, and ppe which will be needed.

I will make a contract saying about misuse will have to be paid for etc, and its there responsibility for loss of the machine. can anyone think of anything else to add to this contract.

thanks for your help

malcolm

just wondering what people do regarding hiring out there machinery?

I have got a new chipper now and I am thinking about hiring out my old chipper to some of my landscaping customers. what are the legal requirements regarding giving them instruction to using it? will I have to have something in the paperwork saying its the users responsibility to have adequate training, and ppe which will be needed.

I will make a contract saying about misuse will have to be paid for etc, and its there responsibility for loss of the machine. can anyone think of anything else to add to this contract.

thanks for your help

malcolm

go hire 1, for the day & copy there terms ,then alter them to suite

Lots of sweepings through the chipper will happen

Makes me shiver thinking about it

I would think it would get a lot of abuse, and you would find breakdowns happening that you could not blame on the ' todays' hirer, as the acumilative abuse would start to show further down the line.

Personally I wouldn't hire a chipper out unless I was using it. Too many people think a couple of nails won't be an issue but I expect you've thought it through so my only worry would be liability for accidents.

Your best bet might be to hire out a man and chipper instead. Find someone who wants a bit of cash and can use the chipper. The chipper course is fairly quick and simple.

Have you considered the break down issue? It breaks down on site, job is delayed because of it, got 3xstaff waiting for it to be repaired get a guy out here now or a new machine type scenario.

Then there's the whole, "I thought it would be ok not locked up over night as I know everyone around here".

On paper it makes a lot of sense, but when it comes to the cold light of day I don't trust anyone to look after my kit.

You dont need a training course to use a hired chipper, its not the chipper owners responsibility either, but from experience, as said before, breakdowns from abuse down the line will arise that you cannot easily find who was responsible for.

Worse problem is dodgy fuel, I send my crushers out with a special filter funnel now. If they dont use it and the engine gets damaged, they pay