Qualifications

Mickhewlett

Hi guys,

New to this forum (30 minutes ago) and thought I'd try my luck with a quick question.

I'm an Aussie guy who's currently living and climbing in Switzerland and although I've been in the industry for some time, have yet to 'qualify' as an arborist. My plan was to do an apprenticeship here but my German is no where near good enough to do the swiss course. Have looked online and seems there are options for online courses in the U.K. One particular mob offer a cert 2 in arboriculture and the next jump is a full diploma. I think in Australia, most companies insist on a minimum of level 3 to land a decent job. The fellow told me he thought the British level 2 was equivalent to the aussie level 3???

Sounds confusing right,

I guess my question would be, does anyone have any knowledge on firstly what course I'd need to become a qualified arborist in the UK? And if so, is it accepted for the better or worse in Australia?

Hope someone can help

Cheers guys

Aussie Mick

One of my old groundies did a corespondent Arb course relevant to Australian natives from the UK, I can ask him next time he's back in the uk ... He ended up joining the marines after a few years for grist woods though and never went back to Oz and is out the country and hard to get hold of, But the course is definitely out there.

Hi guys,

The fellow told me he thought the British level 2 was equivalent to the aussie level 3???

Aussie Mick

Hi Mick, and welcome to ARBTALK.

I'm not sure here but just looking on line AQF qualifications | Australian Qualifications Framework it would appear the Australian qualification framework goes up to level 10 Doctorate, whereas the UK goes to level 8.

Hence your comment above may be correct. Maybe contact the Queensland AA Queensland Arboricultural Association - QAA or Arb. Australia Home to clarify.

In the UK academic arb qualifications are generally a "nice to have" rather than "need to have", not to undermine their value and we of course support and encourage them, but there is a requirement for H&S lead practical skills abilities, e.g. tree climbing / chainsaw use, covered by City & Guilds NPTC and Lantra Awards.

Hope this helps a little and good luck with everything..

Paul

Hi Mick, and welcome to ARBTALK.

I'm not sure here but just looking on line AQF qualifications | Australian Qualifications Framework it would appear the Australian qualification framework goes up to level 10 Doctorate, whereas the UK goes to level 8.

Hence your comment above may be correct. Maybe contact the Queensland AA Queensland Arboricultural Association - QAA or Arb. Australia Home to clarify.

In the UK academic arb qualifications are generally a "nice to have" rather than "need to have", not to undermine their value and we of course support and encourage them, but there is a requirement for H&S lead practical skills abilities, e.g. tree climbing / chainsaw use, covered by City & Guilds NPTC and Lantra Awards.

Hope this helps a little and good luck with everything..

Paul

Hi Paul

Just to clarify and not wishing to tell you how to suck eggs as they say but I think the RQF system in the UK has 11 levels, Entry levels 1-3 and then level 1-8 above this.

Do you not consider the bottom 3 to count?

Cheers

Hi Paul

Just to clarify and not wishing to tell you how to suck eggs as they say but I think the RQF system in the UK has 11 levels, Entry levels 1-3 and then level 1-8 above this.

Do you not consider the bottom 3 to count?

Cheers

Oops...keep up Paul! :blushing:

Sorry, didn't realise further levels had been added under the new RQF (see https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/461298/RQF_Bookcase.pdf ) as still working from QCF (see Qualifications and Credit Framework (QCF) )

However, is it a little academic anyway as it still goes to level 8 whereas Australian framework appears to go to level 11.

Have to caveat here to say I'm no expert here. :confused1:

Cheers..

Paul