Small saw decisions...

jamesd

I keep putting off getting a new small saw but its about time i bit the bullet and just decide which one to go for. At the moment i use a 461 for, well pretty much everything (its on a 20" bar) but i've got a load of small jobs coming up where its just a bit overkill for. Things like coppicing and small fells etc etc

I'm a stihl man at heart but I am very tempted by a 550xpg but I keep seeing stories coming up on here about reliability issues etc etc which puts me off a bit. Would this saw be a good choice? I wouldn't use it all that often but when i do i want it to be reliable! Would this saw be any good for coppicing hazel or is it still too big?

My other option is the 261 but i havn't heard a lot about them really.

Or my third option is to look into the non pro saws, but again i don't know much about them.

I have pretty good stihl and husqvarna dealers close by so want to stick with them if i'm honest.

Any advice would be great!

James.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just bought a new 560xpg, it's my first saw and I've only got a small borrowed Stihl 181 to compare it with anything so it's by no means a fair comparison but ... It's a really great saw, tons of power, really nice to use and apart from having to keep tightening the chain up (which I gather is common with new chains) it's been a blast.

It's probably twice the saw that I need but doesn't matter, if you're gong to spend 550 money lay out the extra for the extra power, you won't be wishing you had a smaller saw if you do.

Plus the sound it makes is infectious, it ticks all the masculine power tool boxes !!!

I had this same dilemma.. Choice of 261 or 550.. I walked out with the 261!! I just preferred it in my hand. It's done everything from coppicing on a 15" bar to chogging down a stem on an 18" bar. I have no complaints, but it's not to say the 550 isn't any good. I don't think you'll go wrong with whatever saw you choose out of those 2.