L6 Treelife...

sloth

Can anyone doing/done the l6 through treelife (at a venue, or by treemail) please let me know the total cost incurred? I'm trying to work out if it's financially viable for me at the moment.

Also, if any kind soul wouldn't mind sending me a sample of what work a completed module entails, I'd be very grateful - I've not done any quals in the new format, and never was very great with coursework, preferring to just study and do an exam. I'm hoping it won't scare me off!

Many thanks in advance, Kev...

It means more than any other post here so far! I also see that this current year is the last Dave and Andy will teach, I wonder who will step in?

How much more of the level 4 do you have, and who are you with? I had Andy for the tech cert, top teacher...

From their website:

Owing to recently posed questions concerning the longevity

or our delivery of the ABC level 6 diploma in arboriculture Tree Life would

like to *clarify the situation. Tree Life hopes that delivery of this fine

qualification will continue from the centre at a range of venues. However,

regrettably this year [2015] will be the last intake of students that will come under

the direct tutorship of Dave and Andy. Both of us have served arboriculture for

approx. 40 years each and all good things must come to an end. The last intake

will commence studies this October*[2015] and are assured of our commitment for a five

year period.

It means more than any other post here so far! I also see that this current year is the last Dave and Andy will teach, I wonder who will step in?

How much more of the level 4 do you have, and who are you with? I had Andy for the tech cert, top teacher...

Half way through pretty much, and doing it with Treelife. Until this week, work was easily manageble (doing after work) as there was at least a three week window. This time, there's a two week window, and I am having to rush it a little. Darren Blunt is my tutor.

Half way through pretty much, and doing it with Treelife. Until this week, work was easily manageble (doing after work) as there was at least a three week window. This time, there's a two week window, and I am having to rush it a little. Darren Blunt is my tutor.

Hi there, thought you said above you weren't doing it...but maybe that related to the L6 question.

So, presumably Darren is delivering the L4 to you? Sorry, just trying to clarify who is delivering what.

Thanks..

Paul

I finished the L6 in 2014 and it was a beast; I came from the old Tech Cert not the L4 so I can't compare study time but it took me a lot of study time, and I mean a lot.

In terms of cost, I can't recall the course cost but on top of that I had book costs, paper, travel time from Pulborough to Harlow every Wednesday (during term times) and a number of workshops; if i were to hazard a guess I'd say all in around the £5-£5'500.00 mark.

Unlike Sloth, I struggled with exams so this format worked for me and once I got a system in place I found that bar the study side of things, the actual writing of the assignment was ok.

Send me an email address and I'll forward a question paper.

I did mine at the same time as Andrew above and also came in via tech cert so can't really comment on the L4. What I would say though is that I don't see how it could be any more work if you want to get it done in 2 years. I was working every minute that I could, even during my sons day time naps at the weekend. You can take up to 5 years if you want though with either. I spoke with Dave a couple of weeks ago and that is essentially why they are not delivering the qualification, they cant commit 5 years to it.

People struggled with one of two aspects of this course. Either writing at L6 or keeping up with the work. Like Andrew I thought the level was ok, the first critical evaluation was a challenge but once you have done one its ok, more of the same really and just a skill you need to learn. Getting going with the IRP was also difficult but again once you get going it just unfolds in front of you. Not quite but you know what i mean. The work load is intense though. I was told on several occasions not to underestimate it but I still did. On day one we were given 6 assignments to do in three weeks. One was to critically evaluate import controls for plants, organisations and agreements. At the time I knew nothing about the WTO or EPPO so a lot of research. I think I did 3 so was playing catch up for the whole of the first year. I made sure I stayed on top of the work in year two and this really helped. That would be my number one tip, stay on top of the work. Second would be do your re-submissions as soon as you get them back. You can knock them out in 30mins sometimes. You'll get a sheet with all the units on and the AC which you are supposed to tick. I colour coded mine. Red - not stated, amber - underway, green - done, blue - to re-sub. Sounds a bit geeky but i could see exactly where i was and what was a priority. Gives you a little bit of a boost every time you put a green box in. I found it quite motivating when i could see the whole thing turning green over time and you will need something to motivate you so if not this then something.

In terms of cost, from your posts I assume you already have a pretty good library so don't go mad. See what you really need. I think I bought about 5 books over the two years. You have to be prepared to scour the internet for free guidance though, there is a lot of info out there. You will also need access to the online journals from the AA so get that set up. There is an ISA site also that has all their papers on for free that are older than 1 year. This can help to keep the costs down. These are things you can start putting in place now. You can probably start doing your tree profiles also. The nursery/landscape unit is the same as the one on the L4 (its at L5) so not difficult but still takes time.

Hope this helps

I'm doing something similar to Chris, re. Keeping track of assignments. Also, keeping track of all your research material becomes a problem if you're not naturally particular on filing things well. I'll read something, pertaining to another assignment, save it then search the PC for an hour to find it when I'm doing that assignment. Some PDFs allow you to highlight text, useful to find the particular section when you come back to it.

I'm taking a break from it due to my circumstances, so you'll probably finish before me:001_rolleyes:

Edited by Gary Prentice