FdSC, TreeLife, BSc, level 3, level 4, 5, 6? arrgh!

diervek

I'm currently studying the RFS level 2 with Myerscough and looking at furthering my academics and have a couple of questions;

What next?

Ultimately I want to reach a level 6+ qualification and I'm looking at the FdSc with Mysercough as my next step, but I'm unsure if the jump from level 2 to a level 5 qual. is really the correct jump to take - am I trying to run before I can walk?

Other options?

The FdSc seems the most viable for me, but what other options do you recommend I might look at pursuing?

Cheers in advance boyses/girlses.

Having done the FdSc the entry requirement was an L3 in a related subject and relevant experience. It is very intensive on the plant science.

Also based on my own experience I would recommend getting at least two to three years worth of industry experience under your belt before doing the FdSc, to make it more worth while but also with understanding it.

Having done the FdSc the entry requirement was an L3 in a related subject and relevant experience. It is very intensive on the plant science.

Also based on my own experience I would recommend getting at least two to three years worth of industry experience under your belt before doing the FdSc, to make it more worth while but also with understanding it.

"Pendula, pendula.." (arboricultural speak for "bravo, bravo")

Cheers Betula, good, very pertinent / astute, post :thumbup1:

Paul

I haven't done FdSc but I would agree with the comments. FdSc is L5 and so too much of a jump from L2. There was a lad on the first day of my L6 2nd year who went straight from L2 against the advice of the tutor who said do L4 first. He only came once as he quickly realised the jump was too much.

You have two choices really.

1. Do an L3 arb course such as national diploma and then go on to FdSc.

2. or, go on to L4 and then L6. You are probably better set up for this route with doing L2 first. I did this route with tree life and would highly recommend it.

Cheers

the jump from level 2 to a level 5 qual

You can't actually take this jump directly in any case. You will need to do intermediate qualifications as with the academic levels, the preceding level is your access to the next level up and so on. Depending on your age/experience/other quals There are options to do 'Access to HE' courses, which will help fill in some of the missing gaps if needed.

Your best bet will be to give them a ring and have a chat.

Absolutely, I second that.

I think you will need to be competent at plant science before undertaking the FDSc.

No, I dont agree. To be competent would suggest that they need to know all about plant science before doing the course, therefore what is the point of taking it?

I think it would be fairer to say, be familiar with some of the basic principles of plant science and go from there, but above all else, be prepared to put some effort into studying when you are on the course.

I agree with some of this, but not entirely. 'Based on your experience' - OK that was your feeling of how you wanted to interpret and engage with the course, but surely this should be given with the caveat 'your experience may be different'. We don't know what the OP's current skillset/experience/other knowledge etc. is. Perhaps they are a natural academic who just hasn't had previous opportunities? Who knows?

Ultimately I want to reach a level 6+ qualification

So you want to finish the BSc. Well, thats a great target to have so best of luck with it. Im sure over the passing academic years there will be plenty of help and input from folk on here.

No, I dont agree. To be competent would suggest that they need to know all about plant science before doing the course, therefore what is the point of taking it?

I think it would be fairer to say, be familiar with some of the basic principles of plant science and go from there, but above all else, be prepared to put some effort into studying when you are on the course.

Mmm, not in my experience, having previous knowledge of plant science was enormously helpful to me. I did the course online however.

Of course I can understand having advanced knowledge of a subject being helpful, desirable even, to ease a passage through a course. I dare say the advanced knowledge would benefit anyone taking a similar course, and being an online student can feel a little remote so best to be forewarned and feeling forearmed.

However to be competent as you stated, conveys that the OP would need the necessary skills and knowledge in the subject - in advance, which is obviously not why anyone would take a course ie to learn what they already know.

This may seem like a discussion of semantics, but I think its important to state that there is a significant difference in being prepared to learn, rather than having to be competent in the subject in the first place. If the OP is not competent in advance - should that be a bar to his progress?

I believe having the correct mindset and preparedness for learning, both before and during the course, would be as beneficial as becoming competent in the subject mater beforehand.

Some foundation knowledge, interest and desire to learn and be academically challenged, yes. Competency in all the subject matter however, is not required at the outset of a course.