Hedge Dispute Query

Betula

At the weekend I'm off to look at a hedge that has been reduced badly by the owners neighbour without permission. I need to give an assessment and advice on the condition of the hedge; what do with it and what can be done with regards to potentially taking the neighbour to court (still at the early emotional stage).

I haven't seen the hedge yet or even know the species so I can't offer up any more details yet on that front but I wondered if any body here has any experience with these neighbour and hedge disputes and has any advice. At the very basic level it's a case of vandalism but it's not in a conservation area so I'm not sure what can be done.

Thanks

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the weekend I'm off to look at a hedge that has been reduced badly by the owners neighbour without permission. I need to give an assessment and advice on the condition of the hedge; what do with it and what can be done with regards to potentially taking the neighbour to court (still at the early emotional stage).

I haven't seen the hedge yet or even know the species so I can't offer up any more details yet on that front but I wondered if any body here has any experience with these neighbour and hedge disputes and has any advice. At the very basic level it's a case of vandalism but it's not in a conservation area so I'm not sure what can be done.

Thanks

If your not qualified in the area of writing up tree reports etc....and you are only giving advice on how to tidy it up and make it look less of a mess then it already is and price accordingly...as stubby said leave the rowing to the neighbours and just price for what you think needs doing....tree law gray area.....but next door had no right to reduce hedge...only cut back branches overhanging on to his property...basic law applies...not much help I guess..good luck..hope you get the job.

I agree - it is a civil matter and these can get very messy and expensive with no party achieving anything except entrenched bitterness. Also unless you know all the facts and there are two sides to every story and its easy to dig an unintentional hole................ If the owner wishes to report it to the police in terms of potential trespass with damages then so be it.

Thanks, I am qualified and insured for writing reports but not been involved in a dispute before where one party wants to take the other to court. I don't think going to court would benefit anyone as it will be long and drawn out and the courts wont want arguing neighbours.

Thanks, I am qualified and insured for writing reports but not been involved in a dispute before where one party wants to take the other to court. I don't think going to court would benefit anyone as it will be long and drawn out and the courts wont want arguing neighbours.

Wait till you see the job and what spieces of hedge it is,how bad it looks....it may not be as bad as the owner of the hedge thinks it is....then take it from there...and like I said...charge accordingly...if he wants you to do any written work as well as doing the job...don't let them think your time writing out anything will be price included actually putting the naigbours handy work right.

I have appeared in court as an 'expert' (open to debate) witness in a hedge dispute. I charged them good money and we won the case. These things can get very emotional and heated, my advice is don't do anything that is beyond the law. And charge plenty.

If your not qualified in the area of writing up tree reports etc....and you are only giving advice on how to tidy it up and make it look less of a mess then it already is and price accordingly...as stubby said leave the rowing to the neighbours and just price for what you think needs doing....tree law gray area.....but next door had no right to reduce hedge...only cut back branches overhanging on to his property...basic law applies...not much help I guess..good luck..hope you get the job.

Yes I agree to I think by all means price and carry out any remedial works and document the damage been caused take before and after photos to support the clients case If the wish to pursue it legally but as said legally they are only entitled to cut back overhang to boundary line. It's a job for a solicitor. You can give them your photos and reasons for remedial work.