Wellingtonia Dismantle Ideas

Joe Newton

So I've got a decent sized Welly to kill coming up.

I'm looking for ideas to help it go efficiently.

We're a TW and Tranny outfit, with no experience of cranes etc.

I'm not worried about the brash, top, or the upper half of the stem. It will all have to be rigged, but that's fine. Just wondering what the best way to deal with the timber is. We don't have room at our yard, and could do without ringing and hand balling it.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I've got a decent sized Welly to kill coming up.

I'm looking for ideas to help it go efficiently.

We're a TW and Tranny outfit, with no experience of cranes etc.

I'm not worried about the brash, top, or the upper half of the stem. It will all have to be rigged, but that's fine. Just wondering what the best way to deal with the timber is. We don't have room at our yard, and could do without ringing and hand balling it.

Did a big welly last year...had same problem so I rang around a few timber/log merchants....arranged for them to come out to have a chat....gor a bit of dollar but that wasn't my priority as I was making enough of the job.....was more concerned that who ever took it away they had all the right equipment to deal with it in a clean professional manner as it would reflect on me as it was my job. Sorted a price for all the timber less brash and anything under 6".left it at that and job done....everyone's a winner...me a bit of beer and diesel money and the chap with a good few ton of timber and leaving me without the stress and worry of how to move major pieces of tree:beer:

Flat back wagon with big crane on, lift the bits off onto itself and away, get some pictures up and 1 of the carvers may have it and pay the haulage. I also use a local heavy haulage company who has a monster crane on a wagon to lift stuff into grain trailers for us, expensive but efficient.

1442159508733.jpg.34296f1f6eee1e3e003218bf9145901f.jpg

1442159503835.jpg.7cc6fbecef12fc0a1fb582398c9b976d.jpg

1442159380761.jpg.ae13875e3bcf73da4cc39ad687ecbfba.jpg

1442159340197.jpg.2440ce0ab14716962ebff56e1353e0a4.jpg

Flat back wagon with big crane on, lift the bits off onto itself and away, get some pictures up and 1 of the carvers may have it and pay the haulage. I also use a local heavy haulage company who has a monster crane on a wagon to lift stuff into grain trailers for us, expensive but efficient.

I remember watching that video :thumbup:

Yeah my options are either leaving it to be milled on site or a lorry with a timber crane. I don't know of any in the Warwickshire area so may have to look around.

I'll get some pics this week.

I should add that I'm just the climber, I have no real input as far as management goes, so I'd need to be able to find a cost effective was of dealing with the timber, since there'll be a point where the stem is just too big to rig.

Joe.....my point I was making was that don't think about making money just think about getting it shifted by someone who has all the gear :thumbup: