Tech Cert Management Exercise

stevelucocq

Hi,

Ok I have just found out I have passed my written exams for my AA Tech Cert (Really pleased and well done to anyone else who has passed and thanks for everyones help from ArbTalk!!)

Ok so I was hoping to meet up with people in the same boat to run through things for the management exercise (Based South Wales). I am planning on heading up to Arley Worcestershire Arboretum in the next few weeks if anyone else is keen?

Cheers Steve

hi, cheers Blake 7 you have mail.

Also does any one who has taken the management exercises have any pointers and ways to prepare for them?

Thanks Steve

- Practice drawing out your survey templates in double quick time!

- Take a stool or something to sit on for when you are writing and drawing

- ....and a weather-writer.

- Take your time answering the questions and try and maintain eye contact with the examiner rather than staring at the floor and looking shifty! Don't blurt out the first answer in your head...consider each answer carefully.

To prepare just keep reading over all the relevant docs (BS, NJUG, NHBC etc...) and practice as many surveys as you can. The quicker you can dart about and collect data, the more time you have to sit down and make it presentable and clear. Time management is really key when you only have a ridiculously short time to assess a number of trees.

You guys will be fine!

Well done everyone for passing the written side of things & good luck for the management exercises, I am off to Merrist Wood in Sept to start my Tec Cert & i'm looking for any info that will help me out, I have access to all the literature i need & i have been reading books on arboriculture for years so hopefully it wont be too foreign, I'm also going to work with the local tree officer once a week so that should help me out as well. Just really want to know what i'm letting myself in for, many thanks.

sounds like you are doing better than us all!!!...good stuff and getting to work with the TO that should make a big difference...for me in the written papers the Health and Safety stuff was a bind and Business type stuff such as theories of motivation etc...Have a look through the ABC syllabuses and get an idea of what is need…also worth knocking off a few of the 180 species ID and the list of disorders, pests and diseases as soon as you can…good luck Steve ps I hear that Merrsit Wood is very good too.

Well done all... Now for the proper test!

The best money you'll ever spend would be on booking yourself a place on treelife's 3 day prep down here at Sparsholt. I honestly don't think I'd have passed without it... absolutely essential in my view, they will fill you in on EXACTLY what you're in for with regards to setup / tasks / questioning / time management / detail required in answers etc etc etc etc!

Do it!