Sawdust and respirators

Aicchalmers

So after a long day of chainsaw milling, with a full wallet but a lung full of dust, has anybody had any practical solution for breathing while chainsaw milling?

Been using wee dust masks which work alright and don't really annoy me too much, but still feel like I'm inhaling the same cloud of dust and smoke.

Has anybody tried the powered respirators, specifically the ones with an inbuilt battery in the helmet? They come with a full face shield and ear defenders and seem to be got cheap enough.

Questions I'd have would be;

Does the face shield steam up and heat up or does the fresh stream of air keep things good?

On a more H&S topic, would the models without a hard hat be suitable for milling on a site where everything is on the ground and no overhead hazards?

Is there any battery-in-helmet models available with hard hats? Seems like the face shield would be rated for a higher class of impact protection than a standard visor anyway..

Do they make a big difference in terms of quality of air?

The issue with dust masks is to get reasonable quality ones, of various types, and find out which fits your face best. Don't assume because with one you ended up coughing dust for days that the same will apply to all masks.

Examples ..

postage included TREND AIRSHIELD PRO air fed battery powered respirator /mask. | eBay

Pureflo PF33 ESM PAPR | Respirator Mask Hard Hat & Faceshield

SCOTT TORNADO T POWER BATTERY POWERED AIR FED MASK RESPIRATOR | eBay

The second one seems to be what I'm looking for, with ear defenders it looks to be what's needed, going to look for cost!

I can't comment on the hard hat versions, but I used to use the battery powered full face shield respirators in the joinery workshop. Great when routing, sanding and planing. The fresh supply of air kept the inside of the shield free from fog, and on a warm day, it was pleasantly refreshing! I've not done any milling, so I'm a bit ignorant to the ins and outs of it, but are you likely to get anything other than dust and noise to warrant the hard hat version?

I used the powered full face , think it is 3M, for wood turning. Great bit of kit, stays clear, keeps you cool with the fanned fresh air. Defiantly recommend. Mine also has a extra battery that clips on your belt so it will go for 8 hours, but they are probably better now.