Tree Surgery fatality

I haven't posted this until after Martins funeral which I attended today. There were many other tree surgeons there and the church was packed.

I,m posting it because there are valuable lessons to be learned and the accident could have so easily been prevented.

Martin was a very experienced Tree Surgeon with many years under his belt. He was working on the ground this day and two climbers were in the tree.

Martin was hit by a chog of wood whilst picking up branches beneath and was killed instantly, he was still holding the branches in his hands. The two climbers tried for 20 minutes to revive martin but his injuries were too severe.

A branch had been cut off and dropped and the stem was being chogged back in sections. The section was released and hit Martin below, obviously the climber didn't see Martin but you can draw your own conclusions as to what should have happened and how it could have been avoided.

The climber that dropped the lump was one of Martins best friends and is obviously distraught, what he did right or wrong is not worth debating with him as he has to live with the consequences now for the rest of his life. He didn't go out that day to kill his best mate.

Lesson to be learned from it for everyone in the industry, never drop any part of a tree unless you can see where all your ground staff are, if you can't, wait till you can and they have eyes on you.

Lesson for ground staff is, if that saw is buzzing, it's cutting.

Its a sad loss of a true gent and friend.

Tragic death of Barnsley tree surgeon - Barnsley News from the Barnsley Chronicle

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't posted this until after Martins funeral which I attended today. There were many other tree surgeons there and the church was packed.

I,m posting it because there are valuable lessons to be learned and the accident could have so easily been prevented.

Martin was a very experienced Tree Surgeon with many years under his belt. He was working on the ground this day and two climbers were in the tree.

Martin was hit by a chog of wood whilst picking up branches beneath and was killed instantly, he was still holding the branches in his hands. The two climbers tried for 20 minutes to revive martin but his injuries were too severe.

A branch had been cut off and dropped and the stem was being chogged back in sections. The section was released and hit Martin below, obviously the climber didn't see Martin but you can draw your own conclusions as to what should have happened and how it could have been avoided.

The climber that dropped the lump was one of Martins best friends and is obviously distraught, what he did right or wrong is not worth debating with him as he has to live with the consequences now for the rest of his life. He didn't go out that day to kill his best mate.

Lesson to be learned from it for everyone in the industry, never drop any part of a tree unless you can see where all your ground staff are, if you can't, wait till you can and they have eyes on you.

Lesson for ground staff is, if that saw is buzzing, it's cutting.

Its a sad loss of a true gent and friend.

Tragic death of Barnsley tree surgeon - Barnsley News from the Barnsley Chronicle

Hi DEAN that's terrible news Dean what can you say thanks that's terrible news Dean what can you say thanks Jon

RIP Martin. We have all had a few near misses over the years but tales like bring home the harsh reality of the situation.

I had an 18 inch dis and 5 foot log land about 2 foot from where I was standing. The ground shook and yes I was paying attention. There were two climbers in the tree and I was helping one out with the rigging. The other climber pushed the chog and it rattled through the tree and landed next to me.

I counted my blessings that day.

Stay safe guys.

That's no way for anyone to go, such sad news for the family and friends he's left behind.

Sortoff one of my fears after having my colleagues bone broken in a similar situation and also having hitg someone I didn't see all my lads have orange polo shirts and sweatshirt to try and help with spotting them.