G.resinaceum on Oak

Nick Harrison

Found these big G.resinaceum's (or so i reckon) today on an Oak implicated in a subsidence case. made the decision to remove a bit easier. pics don't show it but the canopy had been severley reduced in the past but subsidence has returned on 2 occasions...Sounded the base which was like a drum...butresses sounded good but alas has to go :sad:

59766cb98c307_26-3-15011.jpg.981b3bbc71bdac5dde888a6d9c4e4682.jpg

59766cb98977b_26-3-15008.jpg.6e2520ea7bb42c012f383ff5bbdfb1a4.jpg

59766cb98728c_26-3-15006.jpg.f969b41166fbc726bbb0a1127d4b5879.jpg

59766cb98543c_26-3-15005.jpg.2b7aa3476aceb727e554b0e8a5f0e17c.jpg

59766cb982fb2_26-3-15004.jpg.167cc892c7ed0338619355cc26814f52.jpg

Resi for sure, bit surprised you weren't 100% on the Id, bit rusty? :biggrin:

So coming out mainly due to the ongoing subsidence claims rather than risk of failure?

Will you get the chance to see a lower cross section of the decay before its ground out?

Good to see you posting again :thumbup1:

main reason it's going is due to the subsidence...tree has been reduced quite severely over the years but the monitoring has shown that the movement returns again after a couple of seasons (has returned on 2 previous occasions).

Any further reduction would have left nothing much more than a stick in the ground with the high probably that movement would return again....another consideration was that across the road, out of shot, is a busy park and tennis courts.

Heave is always considered when taking mature trees out in subsidence cases but from the info I've gained via courses and speaking with loss adjusters, it's not that common. also for the above reasons, further reduction is unlikely to mitigate the problem as well as the safety issues with surrounding targets.

yep, I think location combined with the other issues mean it's a no brainer...brackets are on opposing sides of the stem which could have meant more chances of remaining standing I assume?

will probably be back that way next week so will try to remember to get some more shots showing whole tree and location.

on a separate note, wish mike well for me on his last day...bet there were some sore heads yesterday!!

Multiple fruiting locations would suggest extensive decay, white rot on oak, particularly roadside, is a condition to be extremely cautious about.

Sounds like a good call.

I'm off today seeing the quack about a gammy knee.

Was good to see you at Michal's leaving drink, you missed the whiskey session :biggrin:

Breakfast at Highgate was a good antidote.

Going to miss Michal on the team, he's a fine climber and all round good guy.

Will be interesting to see who applies for the job and how the team develops moving forward.